Just completed 1L, happy to answer any questions!

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student

Feel free to ask anything admission, school, recruit related or anything else 😁

• Like 2

Legally_Chase
  • Law School Admit

Thank you for doing this! I have a few questions

1. How is the workload like? How many pages of readings do professors assign on a weekly basis? 

2. How did you find the IPC part of the curriculum?

3. How is the social culture at LASL since you were likely the first class to have a full 1L experience in person?

4. What was your best and worst part about 1L and who were your favorite professors?

Appreciate you taking the time to do this!

• Like 3

Canlawforumuser123
  • Applicant
34 minutes ago, Legally_Chase said:

Thank you for doing this! I have a few questions

1. How is the workload like? How many pages of readings do professors assign on a weekly basis? 

2. How did you find the IPC part of the curriculum?

3. How is the social culture at LASL since you were likely the first class to have a full 1L experience in person?

4. What was your best and worst part about 1L and who were your favorite professors?

Appreciate you taking the time to do this!

Same would be interested in knowing. Thanks for the opportunity!

• Like 2

NobleP
  • Law School Admit

Thank you for taking the time! I am interested in knowing how important is in-person attendance! Are any of lectures online or are there any recordings available for them?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Pizzaandpasta
  • Applicant

thank you so much for these insights! did you work a part time job while you were in school? do you think it’s feasible especially for someone who is looking to do really well so that they can have a chance during the OCI recruitment? is there enough time in the week to work max 5-10 hours? i have a remote WFH job but if it’s feasible to work during the school year i can probably ask them for an arrangement that prioritizes school over work (and they’re pretty flexible so i’m sure they wouldn’t mind).

i will also be commuting so that’ll take up like at least a couple of hours per day. 

• 2 weeks later...
BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student
On 6/14/2023 at 3:53 PM, Pizzaandpasta said:

thank you so much for these insights! did you work a part time job while you were in school? do you think it’s feasible especially for someone who is looking to do really well so that they can have a chance during the OCI recruitment? is there enough time in the week to work max 5-10 hours? i have a remote WFH job but if it’s feasible to work during the school year i can probably ask them for an arrangement that prioritizes school over work (and they’re pretty flexible so i’m sure they wouldn’t mind).

i will also be commuting so that’ll take up like at least a couple of hours per day. 

Hello!

Apologies for the late response. I would say it's definitely feasible to work a part-time job in law school. If your work really is pretty flexible, I would highly recommend taking the first few weeks of school off work to get used to things and getting school in order before resuming. Working during the intensives (the week between orientation week and first week of classes) should not be a problem as they are super easy and pass/fail. 

At the end of the day, it comes down to what your work is like. If it is super flexible then it shouldn't be a problem, but you will be able to gauge this very quickly into your school year. 

I personally did not work during the school year, however, a lot of my friends did. We had Fridays off so if it stays that way, then you may be able to get your work done Fridays and/or on the commute. If you have a flexible job, then it's worth a shot to see how it fits into school. If it interferes then you can always quit after a few weeks of school.

Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions, I'll try to be more active during the summer. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Pizzaandpasta
  • Applicant

Thank you for this! Looks like I might be able to work something out that will allow me to work once a week while remaining focused on schoolwork. 

Can you please also share some advice on scholarships/bursaries/grants? Did you apply for them through awardspring? How readily available are grants throughout the year? Did you automatically qualify for some of them based on your school involvement/grades? As someone desperately in need of financial assistance, I would like to exhaust all my options in addition to OSAP and a student line of credit. Any advice i’d appreciated! TIA

• 6 months later...
TheWingerGuarantee
  • Applicant

Thank you so much for writing about your experience @BirdsArentReal! I know you spoke to the culture of the school, but I was wondering if you found this culture extended beyond the groups of 25 you are put into at the start of the year. I am coming from Queen's where I have realized how important a supportive culture is to me, and I was wondering if this is an attitude adopted by most students in their first year. While I know this is subjective, and not everyone will have the same attitude, I think a school's culture is self-perpetuating in a sense so I am curious about it. Thank you again for answering these questions!! 

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student

100% - I can't speak for the class of 2026/27 but for my year, the culture extended beyond the groups of 25. I believe most 1L students in any law school come in knowing they're going to have to make new friends- so there is usually a greater sense of collegiality in law school. No problem! Shoot me a DM if you want to connect further. 

jazmin5644
  • Applicant

Thanks for the detailed answers so far! Did you receive lockers? 

• Renerik pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
LOUISLITT123
  • Applicant

Hey Question, 

I was wondering if there is a set divide between final exam grade and assingment grade for all of the courses?

DogLuVR
  • Applicant
On 5/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, BirdsArentReal said:

Feel free to ask anything admission, school, recruit related or anything else 😁

What were your stats like when you got accepted? AND do you know what potential job outcomes are like in Toronto?

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student
On 4/18/2024 at 2:39 AM, LOUISLITT123 said:

Hey Question, 

I was wondering if there is a set divide between final exam grade and assingment grade for all of the courses?

There is no set divide but it is TMU (the entire university) has a policy where exams cannot be weighted more than 65%. The law school follows this.

20 hours ago, DogLuVR said:

What were your stats like when you got accepted? AND do you know what potential job outcomes are like in Toronto?

You can see my stats from my previous posts! I cannot speak for job prospects as I no longer attend TMU - but they seem decent if you can stand out.