Etiquette for reaching out to adjunct profs for job opportunities?

icecreamluver

icecreamluver
  • Law Student

I recently took a course on a niche area of corporate law and received what I assume is one of the highest grades in the class. I'm looking for articling opportunities and cannot find jobs within that particular area of corporate law. Is it worth reaching out to the adjunct profs who are both partners at law firms for tips to find jobs within that area? Or should I let it be? 

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

Yes, you can reach out to professors for advice and/or to connect you with contacts to speak with. I wouldn't go as far as to asking for a job, just networking opportunities to learn more. Best of luck. 

• Thanks 1

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

You absolutely should do this. There are zero downsides. Your foot is in the door. My experience with profs, especially adjuncts, is that they greatly appreciate students who attempt to connect with them beyond the course.

1 hour ago, sarcasticlemon said:

I wouldn't go as far as to asking for a job, just networking opportunities to learn more.

Why? There's no need to be pushy with them but there's no reason not to inquire about articling. Shows initiative and, even if they're not hiring, could lead them to keep you in mind for other opportunities they become aware of. I know two people who articled with an adjunct professor after doing well in their course.

• Thanks 1

Constantine
  • Law School Admit

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Might as well take the risk and as everyone already said, it's a great way to get your foot in the door. 

• Thanks 1

You should certainly ask. I've had job offers from adjuncts before and I know others have too. I've also used them to get interviews or letters of reference. Really a great resource. 

• Thanks 1

icecreamluver
  • Law Student
47 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

There’s no need to be pushy with them but there's no reason not to inquire about articling. Shows initiative and, even if they're not hiring, could lead them to keep you in mind for other opportunities they become aware of. I know two people who articled with an adjunct professor after doing well in their course.

Do you have any advice for how should I phrase the inquiry about articling opportunities? I don’t want to come off pushy/desperate lol

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, icecreamluver said:

Do you have any advice for how should I phrase the inquiry about articling opportunities? I don’t want to come off pushy/desperate lol

Wanting a job is not desperate. You are a student, as were they once. Don't worry about that.

I would ask them to grab a coffee. I see no issue with saying upfront in your email that you are interested in whether they offer articling positions but, either way, that you'd be very pleased to learn about their practice as you are want to pursue that area.

• Like 2