Did anyone else have a significantly higher B3 or B2 than cGPA

The Law

2easy
  • Applicant

Is there a certain school you’re interested in? From my understanding some schools don’t even look at cGPA. 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

Why would you think it wouldn't? Some schools look at cgpa and some look at best 2. Obviously you will have a better shot at the later. 

It's also not uncommon for people to end undergrad with significantly higher grades in their last year than their first one. 

6 hours ago, 2easy said:

Is there a certain school you’re interested in? From my understanding some schools don’t even look at cGPA. 

39 minutes ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

Why would you think it wouldn't? Some schools look at cgpa and some look at best 2. Obviously you will have a better shot at the later. 

It's also not uncommon for people to end undergrad with significantly higher grades in their last year than their first one. 

Yes, I was talking about schools that don’t formally use your cGPA (UofT, UBC, UCalgary, UAlberta, UVic). These are the schools I’m interested in and I’m above median GPA-wise according to their official criteria, but below that median in terms of cGPA.

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, The Law said:

Yes, I was talking about schools that don’t formally use your cGPA (UofT, UBC, UCalgary, UAlberta, UVic). These are the schools I’m interested in and I’m above median GPA-wise according to their official criteria, but below that median in terms of cGPA.

Then yes, those schools will consider your GPA based on what is stated in their admissions website. 

If it makes you feel better, I was in a similar situation, my first year I had almost straight Cs and by my last year I was getting high marks and I got a good chunk of acceptances. A good lsat is going to help offset the low marks as well. 

19 minutes ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

Then yes, those schools will consider your GPA based on what is stated in their admissions website. 

If it makes you feel better, I was in a similar situation, my first year I had almost straight Cs and by my last year I was getting high marks and I got a good chunk of acceptances. A good lsat is going to help offset the low marks as well. 

Im hoping that is the case, but I know they still see your cGPA and Im worried that it could sway the admissions officers in a negative way.

Congrats on overcoming a bad first year, I know how difficult it could be. If you dont mind me asking, where did you get accepted? I want to see what other law schools would overlook a weak first year,. Totally cool if you dont want want to answer that.

• 1 month later...
GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
On 5/25/2023 at 7:06 PM, The Law said:

And follow up: did it effect your candidacy in any way?

Yes and I got in. Accepted to both UVIC and UBC. But I applied discretionary…. 

My cGPA is just awful. I should have dropped courses instead of just failing them but I didn’t know better and had no one in my life to provide guidance.

I would encourage you to apply broadly if you can. If you have an LSAC fee waiver contact each school to see if they offer an application fee waiver. 

watch these webinars: https://www.uvic.ca/law/admissions/eventsandwebinars/index.php

Some schools are now taking a more holistic approach than they traditionally have. 

Megjackson
  • Law Student

I have a way better L2 compared to my CGPA due to very good reasons. I applied to uvic, usask, ubc and TRU. Got denied at usask. But accepted at UVIC and and Conditional offers from Tru and UBC. (The condition being that I complete 1 or both of the summer classes at USASK). I chose Uvic. USASK was my last choice so it's weird to me that it's the only one to deny me. 

I really played up my reasons for my low cgpa because I spent my first 2 years helping my sister who fractured her back take care of her kids and help her get moving again, while working part time and school full time.