Next Steps?

Law4me

Law4me
  • Law School Admit

Hey Everyone! 

Did anyone get any emails after they've been accepted i.e. regarding course selections or student housing? I'm trying to apply for student residence but it looks like there is a priority for those who have been registered for a full course load.

Whist
  • Law Student

It's probably too early for them to be sending out any updates for courses and whatnot. IIRC, that was later in the summer in my year. They will assign a cohort to you so for 1L, you won't select your own courses. 

For residence, it'll just depend on when you applied. I'm not able to find my old emails from when I lived in res, but I think I started hearing back in June/early July? The grad houses usually have more rooms available because it's not mixed grad/undergrad. If you're okay with the cost they're nice units. I-House is also decent but you don't have a private kitchen. Avoid HUB. The other houses (Maple, Aspen, etc) can be noisy and the units fill up quick. I was also a full-time student and not part-time (as I assume you are) so I'm not sure how that will affect placement priority. 

• Like 1

criminallydetermined
  • Law Student

What about the 1L newsletter, or Dean’s welcome, I have not received any information 

Whist
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, criminallydetermined said:

What about the 1L newsletter, or Dean’s welcome, I have not received any information 

The Dean’s welcome was back in March for students admitted prior to then. The newsletter also doesn’t start up until closer to the Fall term if my memory serves me. 

Teejah
  • Law School Admit
13 hours ago, criminallydetermined said:

3 hours ago, Whist said:

The Dean’s welcome was back in March for students admitted prior to then. The newsletter also doesn’t start up until closer to the Fall term if my memory serves me. 

There have been two newsletters sent out containing information both about course registration (there is none. But there's info about seeing your classes on BearTracks) and housing. They were only sent to your UAlberta email. Check there! If you didn't get them reach out to Josh at Student Services.

• 3 weeks later...
fettuccinealfredo
  • Law Student

If you've accepted your offer, join the Facebook group for your year- it's called "University of Alberta Law Class of 2026". A lot of information will be posted there throughout the summer and school year!

Ribbons
  • Law Student

For residence, I have never heard of a law student having an issue getting housing. I am an upper year and got approved for residence a couple of weeks ago, I imagine it'll take a bit longer for an incoming student but just be sure to put how many years of education you have as upper years (and law students are considered graduate students I *think* which helps too) get priority.