Chances at an Ontario Law School

boywonder

boywonder
  • Law School Admit

I am headed into my last year of undergrad and am looking to apply to law school this coming fall cycle. I wanted to know my prospects and if I should even consider going through with this. My current cGPA after 3 years is 3.55 (B2: 3.83/ L2: 3.33) and I am PTing in the low 160s for the LSAT, which I plan on taking in August. I had a horrible 2nd year which ruined my cGPA and L2. I am not sure if my 4th year would count towards my L2, but if it would I could definitely get that back up to a respectable 3.7-3.8. My softs are weak but I have good LORs and am on my way to writing a solid personal statement. Do I have any chance of getting into an Ontario school with such a low cGPA and L2? And will my last year be factored into the calculations of my cGPA and L2?

I would be happy to get into any ontario law school with no specific preference.

Edited by mza

Monophobia
  • Law Student
13 hours ago, mza said:

will my last year be factored into the calculations of my cGPA and L2?

Yes. You have to send your fall transcripts into OLSAS after you get your fall semester grades back and your final transcripts after your second semester. Both actions will update your GPA on OLSAS.

13 hours ago, mza said:

Do I have any chance of getting into an Ontario school with such a low cGPA and L2?

Yes. We have similar stats and I was admitted to Queen's this cycle with a 161 LSAT. Queen's takes your top two years into consideration so that will likely work in your favour the same way it did for me. I recommend scrolling through the 'accepted' threads in this forum for each school to get a sense of where you stand. 

It's good that you're already PTing in that 160+ range. You and I don't have the most competitive GPA, so it's best to try to aim as high as possible to maximize your chances. Also, keep hacking away at the LSAT but don't sacrifice your grades! You can retake the LSAT with relative ease but you'll run into complications if you do poorly in any of your classes. Finish strong and you will likely get in somewhere. Best of luck!