Written Articling Offer

jran2008

jran2008
  • Law Student

I received a verbal articling offer from a Crown Attorney's office three days ago, which I gladly accepted. I was informed that I would receive the offer in writing and receive further information via email. However, as of now, I have not yet received the email. I'm a bit worried, especially because I have a few other scheduled interviews next week that I would need to cancel. I am uncertain whether this delay is normal or if I should reach out to them for clarification.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I summered and articled with a Crown office. I don't recall the timeline for the articling letter, as I wasn't concerned since I was working there between the receipt of the verbal and written offer and was getting assigned work into the articling term so it was obvious I was coming back. But there was a gap of months between my verbal offer and written offer for summering and it made me anxious as well. The government is generally good for honoring their offers and bad for getting HR paperwork ready quickly, and there's less to be concerned about than if this was a private firm or whatever.

jran2008
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Mal said:

It doesn't hurt to follow up, but it is normal for things to take time. 

Hmm that's what I was thinking. Thank you

2 hours ago, Mal said:

It doesn't hurt to follow up, but it is normal for things to take time. 

2 hours ago, CleanHands said:

I summered and articled with a Crown office. I don't recall the timeline for the articling letter, as I wasn't concerned since I was working there between the receipt of the verbal and written offer and was getting assigned work into the articling term so it was obvious I was coming back. But there was a gap of months between my verbal offer and written offer for summering and it made me anxious as well. The government is generally good for honoring their offers and bad for getting HR paperwork ready quickly, and there's less to be concerned about than if this was a private firm or whatever.

This is very useful. Thank you so much!

JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student

I’m in a similar boat as yourself - I guess they received another round of funding from the government. I guess it will take time - it’s more the HR rather than anyone else (been over a week since acceptance). To add this is for 2023-24 articling term 

Edited by JustHereNotStaying

Reanada
  • Law Student

If you're referring to the BCPS, I received a verbal offer (which I accepted) two weeks ago and I still haven't received a formal written offer. Probably nothing to worry about.

Edit: Spelling 

Edited by Reanada

jran2008
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, toastedguac said:

Which province?

Ontario

8 hours ago, JustHereNotStaying said:

I’m in a similar boat as yourself - I guess they received another round of funding from the government. I guess it will take time - it’s more the HR rather than anyone else (been over a week since acceptance). To add this is for 2023-24 articling term 

Oh! Then I think this is normal. Just have to be patient!  

5 hours ago, Reanada said:

If you're referring to the BCPS, I received a verbal offer (which I accepted) two weeks ago and I still haven't received a formal written offer. Probably nothing to worry about.

Edit: Spelling 

I'm referring to Ontario. But I guess it's the same everywhere. Thank you!

LMP
  • Articling Student

This is very common in all areas of government. Comes from the disconnect between the people making the offers and the ones who actually have to prepare "the box". 

I wouldn't stress it too much, though I get why that's not an easy thing to do in your situation.

criminallyminded
  • Lawyer
20 hours ago, jran2008 said:

I received a verbal articling offer from a Crown Attorney's office three days ago, which I gladly accepted. I was informed that I would receive the offer in writing and receive further information via email. However, as of now, I have not yet received the email. I'm a bit worried, especially because I have a few other scheduled interviews next week that I would need to cancel. I am uncertain whether this delay is normal or if I should reach out to them for clarification.

Don't sweat it. I articled with MAG and was told I got the articling verbally, it took months before I had anything in writing and I was really anxious, but it was all good. 

jran2008
  • Law Student
On 6/8/2023 at 12:17 AM, LMP said:

This is very common in all areas of government. Comes from the disconnect between the people making the offers and the ones who actually have to prepare "the box". 

I wouldn't stress it too much, though I get why that's not an easy thing to do in your situation.

Thank you so much! very helpful. 

On 6/8/2023 at 7:14 AM, criminallyminded said:

Don't sweat it. I articled with MAG and was told I got the articling verbally, it took months before I had anything in writing and I was really anxious, but it was all good. 

Thank you so much! So this waiting period is normal it seems.  

• 2 months later...