Rentals in Victoria that rent to uvic students

Megjackson

Megjackson
  • Law Student

I got accepted into TRU first and began to look into housing before I got into UVIC. I found McGill Ridge apartments and it's said on the apartments website that they rent to TRU students. 

Does anyone know of any apartments in Victoria that rent to students often? 

Screenshot_20230607_154143_Samsung Internet.jpg

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

I think that "We rent to _____ students" is really just a marketing tactic for large commercial buildings that happen to be close to University campuses - perhaps also with floor plans that might be conducive to students (for instance, a larger number of small bedrooms). I have seen similar marketing near U of C and MacEwan University, for instance. 

Unfortunately, there really aren't any areas like that near UVic. Obviously there will be many buildings that have lots of students, but I don't think there are any that would clearly be majority students or anything like that.

If anything, I think that downtown might be a more popular area for students to live in than anything that's actually close to campus. I can only think of a handful of mid-rise apartment buildings within 2 km of campus, and 0 high-rise ones. All that inventory is pretty well downtown. Luckily the bussing is pretty easy.

Megjackson
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

I think that "We rent to _____ students" is really just a marketing tactic for large commercial buildings that happen to be close to University campuses 

Yes, its totally a marketing technique, but when I have been looking for apartments they all seem to require proof of employment, and I don't plan on working in 1L.

I think I'm moreso looking for tips on good places to apply for a rental as a student. 

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student
5 hours ago, Megjackson said:

I think I'm moreso looking for tips on good places to apply for a rental as a student. 

It's grim, unfortunately. Really tough market lately. Just keep at it... I know that's not very helpful because you are already keeping at it. 😉 

The UVic off-campus housing Facebook group is fairly active lately: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1699380823409924

The UVic Law Buy & Sell group is not as active, but may be worth a look: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456411031305195

• Thanks 1