Western Law Deferred Acceptances

baddielawyer

baddielawyer
  • Applicant

I had a question about western. I saw a year ago that some people were accepted after being deferred. So does that mean western will wait till they get your winter grades to send out an acceptance? How does it work? I’m going into my final year of undergrad and my L2 can go from a 3.5 to a 3.72 if I manage all A+‘s like I did last winter semester. I’m writing the October LSAT so I wanted to see. My CGPA is around 3.3.  So my L2 can be around Westerns medians if they account all of my final year grades. I know I need a high 160s at least to stand a chance at western with my lower gpa but I’m hoping at least a deferred acceptance will be in my future.

My garbage gpa is also why I’m heavily relying on US schools and my LSAT. I’m PTing in the low to mid 160s right now. I know a hypothetical or PT LSAT score means nothing but I’m hopeful on improving as much as I can.

Edited by baddielawyer

6 hours ago, baddielawyer said:

I had a question about western. I saw a year ago that some people were accepted after being deferred. So does that mean western will wait till they get your winter grades to send out an acceptance? How does it work? I’m going into my final year of undergrad and my L2 can go from a 3.5 to a 3.72 if I manage all A+‘s like I did last winter semester. I’m writing the October LSAT so I wanted to see. My CGPA is around 3.3.  So my L2 can be around Westerns medians if they account all of my final year grades. I know I need a high 160s at least to stand a chance at western with my lower gpa but I’m hoping at least a deferred acceptance will be in my future.

My garbage gpa is also why I’m heavily relying on US schools and my LSAT. I’m PTing in the low to mid 160s right now. I know a hypothetical or PT LSAT score means nothing but I’m hopeful on improving as much as I can.

Any reason(s) for you low GPA?

bluebean
  • Law Student

Deferred decision does not mean you'll get an acceptance once your winter grades are in. The university will simply review your application for a second time once those transcripts are updated, assuming they don't make a decision before then. This could lead to an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist. 

If you can get in the 160s, you will definitely get into a Canadian Law school. You don't need US schools as a backup, if that was your plan. I was in the same shoes - cGPA 2.75, L2 3.75 - and got into a variety of schools. I'd say you have a good shot at places like Calgary, UAlberta, Queen's, Dalhousie, and other primarily L2/B2 schools. Western is more of a toss-up because they give cGPA some weight, which might override the L2 that you have.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions! Good luck 🙂 

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer

A 3.3 is not a "garbage" GPA, it's fairly common, even among law applicants. It's especially not that bad if your L2 is a 3.7. As another user said, you will get into a Canadian law school if you can score in the 160s. Going to US schools as a backup is short sighted. You also dont need a high 160 to stand a chance at Western, I know plenty of students who got in with similar grades as you and low-mid 160s.

• Like 2