Acceptance dysphoria?

backtomac

backtomac
  • Applicant

I debated whether or not to post this for a while, but every time I've had an issue regarding law school applications at least one person on here has had the same issue, so here goes it.

Does anyone else feel dysphoric regarding the school they're going to? I went to U of T for undergrad and let's just say I'm not going to U of T for law school, but I am going to a fine law school!!! Nowhere have I seen it be ranked last place in the country, so why do I feel this way???

Not to make you guys my therapist but I think this is just imposter syndrome seeping into other areas besides my own performance — my app was pretty weak (I applied during 2nd year and only qualified as a 3rd year by technicality), so there's no way I got into a *good* law school. But did I?

Does anyone feel me on this?

P.S. if you look at my post history and figure out what school I'm going to and think it's good/bad, that's not the point — I could have gotten into Osgoode (which I didn't) and I would be feeling this way. How to fight this feeling is what I'm looking for 😞 

LMP
  • Articling Student

Lots of law students have these feelings. If not towards their schools, then towards something similar like the firm they end up at. 

People can't help but feel that they should have done "better". Law students in paticualr are susceptible to this because they tend to think of things in pre-defined hierarchies. 

The good news is, for most people it fades. If for no other reason than because you simply don't have the time or capacity to worry about it. 

Not to mention that once you get past 1L, the profession loses some of that bizzare mystical shine that makes students think typing on a keyboard at a certian school or firm is fundamentally unique from typing on a keyboard at a different school or firm. 

Where you go to school does matter in some sense and it can have an impact of certian career opportunities. But not to the extent that it should be causing you any kind of dread. The discomfort you feel is coming from a perception, real or imagined, that others will judge you for your choice. When you start to realize how little most people care about stuff like this (and how little the people who do care matter) you will start to lose that feeling.

• Like 8

backtomac
  • Applicant
39 minutes ago, LMP said:

Lots of law students have these feelings. If not towards their schools, then towards something similar like the firm they end up at. 

People can't help but feel that they should have done "better". Law students in paticualr are susceptible to this because they tend to think of things in pre-defined hierarchies. 

The good news is, for most people it fades. If for no other reason than because you simply don't have the time or capacity to worry about it. 

Not to mention that once you get past 1L, the profession loses some of that bizzare mystical shine that makes students think typing on a keyboard at a certian school or firm is fundamentally unique from typing on a keyboard at a different school or firm. 

Where you go to school does matter in some sense and it can have an impact of certian career opportunities. But not to the extent that it should be causing you any kind of dread. The discomfort you feel is coming from a perception, real or imagined, that others will judge you for your choice. When you start to realize how little most people care about stuff like this (and how little the people who do care matter) you will start to lose that feeling.

thank. you.

cola
  • Law Student

Not exactly the same thing, but I've been feeling the impostor syndrome pretty badly. The school I picked is undoubtedly a good one (I don't think I've ever heard anyone say otherwise), and that's exactly why I feel a little 'off' about going there. I, too, consider my application weak. It feels like a complete fluke that I got in. There's a little nagging feeling that something went wrong and they admitted me by mistake. Or worse, that they normally admit dummies. But then I look at the self-introduction posts in the class Facebook group, and see that, no, that is not the case. So what the hell am I doing here?!

What does help, I find, is remembering that only the admission committee members really know what makes an application strong, and obviously they saw something in mine that made them think that I belong. The same goes for you. You weren't so terrible an applicant that admitting you is bringing the school's quality down. They picked you out of hundreds of applicants for a reason - you just can't see what that reason is. And that's fine. Honestly, I don't think either of us will still care once classes start. We'll soon have bigger things to worry about. 

Anyway, my answer probably isn't as helpful to you specifically, but I wanted to say that I sympathize. And we both probably just need to chill.

• Like 2

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Comparison is the thief of joy. There will always be people doing things you perceive as better than you and people you perceive as more successful than you. Your goal is to do the best for yourself with the cards you've been dealt.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
ng5492022
  • Law School Admit

I don't have many words of wisdom for you, but I appreciate you posting this and for your honesty. I also attended U of T(ears) and was always proud to tell everyone that I graduated from one of the best, if not the best, schools in the country. Unfortunately I didn't make the grades to get into my top choice schools, and feel like I am settling for a lower tier school now (despite knowing that getting into any school in Canada is a great accomplishment!) I am having trouble dealing with these feelings too. But we must remember that where we go is not who we'll be! Feel free to message me if you ever want to vent or connect. 

Edited by ng5492022