Switching firms for Articling - Toronto

setauk

setauk
  • Law Student

I currently work at a mid-size firm, but I want to apply to different firms for the Toronto articling recruit. If my current firm offers me an articling position and I put it on "hold", and say I don't get any articling job offers from other firms after the mid-August LSO deadline, would my current firm dislike/distrust me for putting their original offer on "hold" even if I switch my "hold" into acceptance? Would it hurt my prospects of getting a job at my current firm after articling?

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

Yes, there is a real chance it will sour their view of you. Employers want loyalty. Firms hire summers with a long-term goal to eventually have you as an associate. The fact you're looking elsewhere will paint you as a flight risk and be a point against you if hireback is competitive. 

Is this insurmountable? No, probably not. Should you do it anyway? Impossible to say without being in your shoes. But it certainly isn't something that your employer will automatically be fine with.

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 2

They'll certainly remember when it comes time to make hire back decisions. But that's the risk .

What you could do is at least hold off until you see what interviews you're going to get. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, LMP said:

They'll certainly remember when it comes time to make hire back decisions. But that's the risk .

What you could do is at least hold off until you see what interviews you're going to get. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

Im not certain whether thats allowed. If I remember correctly, the decision to defer accepting articling will be made before finding out about OCIs.

Edited by chaboywb

4 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Im not certain whether thats allowed. If I remember correctly, the decision to defer accepting articling will be made before finding out about OCIs.

Whoops, edited because I think you're right. 

All the same, the matter is sort of moot unitl OP actually gets an offer. 

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

Having an articling offer available to you at a firm other than where you are summering can put you in a position to make some small time demands if your present firm really wants you. 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, SNAILS said:

Having an articling offer available to you at a firm other than where you are summering can put you in a position to make some small time demands if your present firm really wants you. 

Like what?

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, chaboywb said:

Like what?

More $. I know lots of people who used articling recruit offers to get a higher salary from the place they summered (although not for bigger or mid sized firms that pay near Bay Street market). 

• Like 1

setauk
  • Law Student

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I don't have serious issues with the firm I'm at, they offer a lot of practice areas they just don't offer a certain "niche" practice area that I'm now convinced I want to pursue as a career (after years of reflection, taking courses, actually being exposed to that area of law in real life, talking to people, etc.). I could apply for this niche practice area once I'm an associate of 1-3 years, but as mentioned by some above - it's a risk to switch during articling - my firm can just give me an  "early offer" before Aritciling Recruit "Call Day"...

I don't think my firm "needs" me, but out of the several summer students, so far most of my firm has visibly shown a strong preference for me among the pack (which I recognize can always change against me).