1L profs - questions for past/current students

LegalOrangutan

LegalOrangutan

Hey everyone, we're currently in the process of choosing what small group we want, and I'm a little conflicted. I'm interested (at least right now) in going into public law, so logically would probably choose that as my small group. However, by default, I would end up with the following profs as a result: 

- Mark Hecht (For crim and torts)

- Chidi Oguamanam (for contracts)

I've seen some...less than favourable reviews about these profs on rate my prof, with some even saying that Dr. Oguamanam does a closed book exam. I'm 100% aware of the issues with using rate my prof as a reference (biased reviews, outdated reviews, a small number of reviews) but it's really the only thing I have to go off of.

Does anyone have any insight into these profs? What was your experience with them? If it makes any difference, I'm the type of student who prefers more project-based/seminar-y courses over a closed book exam, writing and research seems to be where I thrive. 

As an alternative, I could also take crim as my small group (there's no way I'm doing torts because there's a weekly lecture from 6-9 pm). The only prof I would have any concerns about for that small group is Jeremy de Beer (contracts), there are some pretty negative reviews calling him a narcissist and not very experienced with the actual practice of law. 

Debtful
  • Applicant

Chidi Oguamanam's contracts exam is open book. 

Everything is graded on a curve anyway. If a certain prof is hard they'd be difficult for everyone and everyone will just be curved up. Just take the topic you're interested in that gives you your preferred schedule. 

Once you get into upper year you'll only have one or two profs (who may both have bad rate my prof reviews) teaching a course you have to take. 

Almost all your first year courses will be exam based. Only your small group and legal foundations and maybe a thematic will have assignments. 

Crispy Boi
  • Law Student

Chidi was well loved by myself and nearly everyone I knew, I’m surprised to hear his ratemyprof isn’t good. Contracts isn’t the most exciting class, but his exams are fair, he gives you a pdf of his casebook (so no $$ on textbooks), and he has a good sense of humour and is really nice. It took me a little while to acclimatize to his class, but overall i enjoyed him as a prof. The exams are also completely open book.

Hecht is kind, cares about his students, and  also does very fair exams. If you pay attention to his lectures, and do what he asks of you, you will succeed in his courses. He does not throw curveballs. He is happy to answer questions, and is straightforward about his expectations. Exams are open book and take home.

The one thing I will warn is if you are a visual learner, he might be worth avoiding. His lectures are long, dry, low interaction, and no visual aids at all. If you think you’ll have a hard time just listening to some dude talk for 1.5-2 hours, his teaching style will be hard to learn from.

Overall, do not be dissuaded by either of these professors. Neither were my favourite, but I also wouldn’t hesitate to take another class with either of them if they were teaching something I wanted to take. 

Debtful
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, Crispy Boi said:

Chidi was well loved by myself and nearly everyone I knew, I’m surprised to hear his ratemyprof isn’t good. Contracts isn’t the most exciting class, but his exams are fair, he gives you a pdf of his casebook (so no $$ on textbooks), and he has a good sense of humour and is really nice. It took me a little while to acclimatize to his class, but overall i enjoyed him as a prof. The exams are also completely open book.

Hecht is kind, cares about his students, and  also does very fair exams. If you pay attention to his lectures, and do what he asks of you, you will succeed in his courses. He does not throw curveballs. He is happy to answer questions, and is straightforward about his expectations. Exams are open book and take home.

The one thing I will warn is if you are a visual learner, he might be worth avoiding. His lectures are long, dry, low interaction, and no visual aids at all. If you think you’ll have a hard time just listening to some dude talk for 1.5-2 hours, his teaching style will be hard to learn from.

Overall, do not be dissuaded by either of these professors. Neither were my favourite, but I also wouldn’t hesitate to take another class with either of them if they were teaching something I wanted to take. 

^ great point. I will also say almost all profs I had except 2 used powerpoints.