TRU vs. USask

lilac

lilac
  • Law School Admit

I was accepted at TRU in March but I just got the email today for USask. I had originally placed TRU above USask on my list, especially since I kind of messed up on my application to USask and didn't think I was going to get in anyway.

• I am from Alberta and I plan to practice in Alberta afterwards. I would have loved to stay in my province, but alas it not meant to be... 
  • At the moment, I want to do corporate law or real estate but that could change
  • Neither cities have a T&T supermarket so they're kinda at the same level to me rn lmao

Basically, I just want to know if TRU is worth the extra expenses or should I just go to Sasky. Thanks x

Counsel
  • Lawyer

From my experience, TRU has a significant number of students from Alberta who return to Alberta for work. I am not sure if one is more advantageous than the other re: placement in the Alberta market though and you are correct to point out the substantial extra expense associated w/ attending TRU. The other factor to consider re: TRU is its proximity to Vancouver. From a logistical point alone, it allows you to also explore employment options in Vancouver if you want to keep your options open. Something to keep in mind. Good luck!

• Like 1

lilac
  • Law School Admit
On 6/15/2023 at 5:52 AM, Counsel said:

From my experience, TRU has a significant number of students from Alberta who return to Alberta for work. I am not sure if one is more advantageous than the other re: placement in the Alberta market though and you are correct to point out the substantial extra expense associated w/ attending TRU. The other factor to consider re: TRU is its proximity to Vancouver. From a logistical point alone, it allows you to also explore employment options in Vancouver if you want to keep your options open. Something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Hey thanks for answering my post! This is definitely a factor to consider. While I think both schools place well in Alberta, I love being flexible and would rather practice in BC over Sask I think. I’ll have to think about it more. Thank you again! 

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

For what it’s worth there is an Asian super market across the street from TRU along McGill.