Will I get busy?

99problems

99problems
  • Lawyer

Last month, I joined this big firm. But despite announcing my availability to basically every partner in my group, I haven't been receiving much work to do. In my firm, it is fine if I seek work outside my group, which I did. Had a very encouraging conversation with a partner in another group, where he said he will send me some assignments given my interest in the other practice area as well. But so far, zilch.

Not only will I be able to meet my target, it is frustrating af too. Is this normal? Any suggestion is very appreciated.

Edited by 99problems
  • Like 1

AHLALA
  • Lawyer

I wouldn't stress about it.

I assume, from taking a quick look at your profile, that you are doing transactional work. It's the time of the year where people are working on closing deals that started earlier in the year and it's general not when you are looking to onboard someone new in a deal team. This year is also a bit less busy than previous years have been.

They hired you because they needed that capacity, it is not your fault if they don't have enough work at the moment. Keep reminding people your are available, perhaps start a non-bill project or two with partners you would like to work with (blog post, internal presentation, business development, ...) to keep you occupied. When you do receive work, make sure to do it quickly and as well as you can. 

It might stay calm until the fall, but it will get busier at some point. I would worry about target / bonus. The first year at a firm is generally expect to be an onboarding year.

• Like 1

Most professional jobs you take a while to ramp up to full capacity as it just takes time for people to know and trust you, and give you work.

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
On 6/14/2023 at 10:01 PM, 99problems said:

Last month, I joined this big firm. But despite announcing my availability to basically every partner in my group, I haven't been receiving much work to do. In my firm, it is fine if I seek work outside my group, which I did. Had a very encouraging conversation with a partner in another group, where he said he will send me some assignments given my interest in the other practice area as well. But so far, zilch.

Not only will I be able to meet my target, it is frustrating af too. Is this normal? Any suggestion is very appreciated.

I missed target by 500 hours my first year at my current firm, and am busier than ever now. Building those relationships takes time. Keep making yourself available, do good work, and try to find an underserved niche. You'll get there.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Songbird
  • Lawyer

Very likely that file staffing has already happened for ongoing mandates. Keep letting key folks know and they'll be sure to put you on the next transaction.