U of C vs. Dal

confusedapplicant

confusedapplicant
  • Applicant

Hello Everyone!

I was fortunate enough to receive acceptances from both Calgary and Dalhousie but am having a hard time picking between the schools. I am originally from Vancouver and plan to practice in Vancouver after I finish my JD. When I visited Dalhousie during Welcome days, I really enjoyed the collegial and tight-knit community of the school as well as the variety of specializations/courses they offered. However, Calgary would be the cheaper option (around $10,000 per year) for me and would allow me to visit friends and family in Vancouver more often, providing me with a stronger support system overall. Which school would you choose? Also, would either program be more advantageous than the other when it comes to opportunities such as clerkships? Any insight would be very appreciated!!

Counsel
  • Lawyer

I have no actual data/numbers, but for what its worth, I have seen a lot of Dal grads in DT Vancouver law firms and I think they also place well in Clerkships/Public Law positions. U of C is also a great choice and has the added benefit of proximity. No wrong choice here. Congratulations! 

torontoraptors2016
  • Undergrad

Halifax rental scene is out of control. Take a look at the Dal forum and look for the post "Halifax rental crises". Both are great schools, but Calgary is cheaper and closer to home.

Renerik
  • Law Student

Easier time finding a job in Vancouver from UCalgary than Dal. Cheaper too. Easy choice.

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Renerik said:

Easier time finding a job in Vancouver from UCalgary than Dal. Cheaper too. Easy choice.

Cheaper? Yes. Dal placed almost 2x as many people as U of C into big firms in Van this year, however.

• Like 1

confusedapplicant
  • Applicant

Thank you everyone for all your help! I think I'm going to try to find a reasonably affordable apartment in Halifax in the next month, and if I'm unsuccessful, attend UCalgary.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Please read through this whole thread before moving further with your decisions: 

Ozymandius24
  • Law School Admit
15 hours ago, CheeseToast said:

Cheaper? Yes. Dal placed almost 2x as many people as U of C into big firms in Van this year, however.

I feel this is because ucalgary students are finding work in Calgary as there is a bigger job market there and a relatively cheaper/more plentiful housing market in Alberta generally as opposed to Dalhousie students staying in Halifax.  

The OP has made their decision so my two cents is moot on this thread.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CheeseToast said:

OP, I would be cautious about drawing any kind of inference from this statement. Doesn't consider issues such as class size, the strength of calgary's legal market, etc.