Windsor Dual JD vs English LLB

subsituteoaktree

subsituteoaktree
  • Applicant

They're both crazy expensive and many on this forum would consider them a "last resort option". I want to know which of the last resort options CanLaw Forums would pick first.

When I mean English LLB, I mean an accelerated LLB after obtaining a Bachelor degree like what you'd find at University of Leicester or University of Birmingham.

Edited by subsituteoaktree

Yogurt Baron

Anecdotally, working with lawyers, I see a lot more accelerated English LLBs out there than I ever would have expected---but it's worth noting that they're all people whose lawyer dads are about to retire and give them a law firm. If you know you've got a job at the end of the day - really know it - and money is no object, then why would you waste time "learning Canadian law" or "hitting puberty" before getting your law degree?

If I had to make this choice - and, shit, I still might - I would do the Windsor dual because at least there's a Canadian law degree somewhere in that cereal box.

If you're the kind of person who has to ask on an internet forum (i.e., no dad giving you a law firm), the right answer is probably "neither".

As always, happy to defer to lawyers.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

You made the waitlist for a few Canadian (non-dual) JD programs and if you increase your LSAT by a few points you have a good shot of getting in next cycle. I know that isn't what you asked but I'm just sayin'...

• Like 1

Yogurt Baron

Okay, CleanHands is correct. Absolutely do not start thinking about last-resort options until you've exhausted everything else. If you're, as he says, competitive for Canadian program, work on getting yourself into one of them.