2L Recruit: Do I actually need to "coffee chat" 25 different people in the next month?

Dnian

Dnian
  • Law Student

I will preface this by saying I am a strong student with an overall average in the top 10% of my class at Oz. Also have some decently strong extracurriculars.

However, I have to admit that how hard I have been focusing on my grades has made my pre-recruit networking a little lacklustre - you have to give and take. I only have actually talked to a handful of people at a few firms. 

Despite my qualifications, will whoever is reading my application really hold it against me if I don't namedrop having talked to someone who works there in the first paragraph of my cover letter? I don't hate coffee chats and networking, but I also am working 9-5 outside of the city this summer... trying to find a way to talk to 20-30 different people at all of the firms I'm going to apply to sounds near impossible, especially on top of my workload. 

So, is it borderline disqualifying not to have "connected" with anyone? A lot of folks in the law school bubble make it seem like it is. I wanted to solicit some honest answers and see if that's true. 

Anyone have insight? Thanks 😅

For generic Canadian BL jobs: No.

For some specific boutiques where they want to see if you're actually interested in the work: Yes.

For NY BL: Yes.

Also it's like a ten minute call per firm, how do you not have time?

• Like 1

Dnian
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, helloall said:

For generic Canadian BL jobs: No.

For some specific boutiques where they want to see if you're actually interested in the work: Yes.

For NY BL: Yes.

Also it's like a ten minute call per firm, how do you not have time?

If it really is just a ten minute zoom or phone call per firm, then that makes things a lot easier. Maybe I am taking "coffee chat" a little too literally, lol. 

Even still, it is still challenging to schedule for me simply because I am working or commuting from 8-6. That means I am counting on people to be generous enough to call me on a weekend or later at night.

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

I generally agree with @helloall. I only had calls with a few people from the 4 or 5 firms I was particularly interested in, which were boutiques. Got OCIs from plenty of full-service firms without any name-dropping necessary. With your grades, it won't be a deal-breaker at all.

• Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

Like others have said, I wouldn't bother with marks like yours. Maybe, if there is something niche you want to do, it may be worth reaching out. But even then sometimes less can be more.

I've told this antecdote before, but I actually got more offers (and in-firms) from the firms I didn't network with. A little distance can work in your favour at times.

• Like 1

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

On a handful of occasions, I've had a student reach out to set up a virtual coffee chat and then proceed to ask me three stock questions, clearly not listen to my answers and then ask if they can mention that we spoke in their cover letter. I always give them the same answer: sure, but the chances of it doing you any good are very low. I've never had anyone involved in the hiring process at my firm ask me about a student who name dropped me.

Another anecdote: in 1L summer, I nearly had a panic attack when another student asked me how many coffee chats I had lined up, as they had set up multiple meetings a day for the entirety of July and August. Meanwhile, I had spoken to a grand total of two lawyers that I'd chatted with at a law school networking event. That student struck out at the recruit. I did not, but I did not receive an OCI from the firms of either of those two lawyers that I'd met.

Takeaway: it doesn't matter in terms of improving your chances. Still, I don't think networking with firms is a waste of time if it's something that you feel you can benefit from - maybe to get a sense of culture or to ask the questions you can't find on the firm's website. But don't waste any time stressing about it. Your grades and personality will get you a job, not your namedropping.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
lawfriend
  • Lawyer

There are a handful of firms where it matters (boutiques, etc), but for most it does not. I networked a lot during the recruit (mostly just went to the events though, I did maybe like 1-2 coffee chats with boutiques I really liked) and I think it only really helped with boutique firms.

It made a little more sense when things were in-person, so you'd be able to get a feel for the personalities at the firms etc. but they are generic phone calls that the lawyers squeeze in between their real work and then forget about.

Looking back, I probably wouldn't bother doing it again, even for the boutique firms now that I am on the other side of the aisle. 

• Like 1

if you dont speak to anyone at the firm, what do you say in the cover letter as to why you are interested? "looking through your firm's website?" or? 

Dnian
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, Lawfun123 said:

if you dont speak to anyone at the firm, what do you say in the cover letter as to why you are interested? "looking through your firm's website?" or? 

Ideas:

• Talk briefly about your career goals or a past experience and connect how you think the firm, based on the structure of its student program (available on their website) can help you keep building on/towards them.
  • If applicable, talk about one of their focus areas which overlaps with your preferred area of practice.
  • If you can find one, talk about a social initiative they have undertaken which has meaning to you.
  • Emphasize something the firm is notorious for (example: a particularly prolific IP Group; a recent decision they argued at the ONCA; etc etc) and connect it to your interest.
  • If there are student testimonials available on the website, or if they have student-focused promotional materials (some firms do this), make reference to them.
  • If you went to the open house, bring that up.
  • Like 1

TheSocratic
  • Law Student

I was in the top ~10% in 1L. Didn't do any coffee chats pre-2L. I received ~25 OCI offers, and did around a 10 in-firms. I don't think it made any difference and I haven't heard any of my friends say it made a big difference for them. That said, it was during peak COVID. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
On 7/13/2023 at 11:57 PM, TheSocratic said:

I was in the top ~10% in 1L. Didn't do any coffee chats pre-2L. I received ~25 OCI offers, and did around a 10 in-firms. I don't think it made any difference and I haven't heard any of my friends say it made a big difference for them. That said, it was during peak COVID. 

Agree.  I have reviewed thousands of 2L applications.  Name-dropping a coffee chat with another student never had the slightest influence on that review.  There is some value in a coffee chat if you use it to obtain some information on the firm in question, but for the sake of merely name-dropping in a cover letter, it is pointless.  If you're going to use an inside connection to get an OCI (yes, that still happens) it needs to be with someone way further up the food chain than a current articling or summer student, and the student director will likely hear about it directly from that lawyer anyway.