Best Device for Law School

Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue
  • Applicant

I'm looking into getting a new device (laptop, tablet...etc.) for school and I'd love some insight into what type would be best. I was leaning towards some kind of tablet with a detachable keyboard (like a Surface tablet or an iPad), but was also considering something like the Remarkable that would be better for taking notes but does not have internet access. I have a larger laptop that I plan to keep at home and will probably get something lighter to travel to and from school with. What would you suggest?

You will type, a lot, so number 1 priority is a good keyboard. Second priority is good battery life. 

At least when I bought my laptop, years ago now, Thinkpads were the undisputedly leader in these two factors. I’d be surprised if it changed.

Whist
  • Law Student

Even if you want to have a device for handwritten notes, you should also have a regular laptop on hand. Exam software often won’t run on iPads, for example, so you need something that runs regular versions of Windows or MacOS and is portable for in-person exams. If your larger laptop is portable for those occasions, you’re covered there. 

I have an iPad as a secondary device and I’d probably recommend it over a Remarkable since it has more functionality and you can get one for similar or lower cost. I can write by hand or attach a keyboard that I find quite comfortable to type on (both my pen and keyboard are third party brand and they work just fine). 

• 4 weeks later...
Scrivener
  • Articling Student

Late responding here, but my Surface served me very well. I loved it. The battery life was no issue even when I forgot the charger going into a 3hr exam. Even though it's technically a tablet, running the exam software was no problem at all. (Note: All of the classrooms I had were outfitted with power outlets at every seat. That might be different at other schools)

I highly recommend having something with internet access, as the professors will post cases and documents onto online portals that you may want to reference during class.

Regarding handwritten notes: ability to reference winds up being more important than your ability to retain, what with all of the exams being open-book. So, if you really are bent on handwriting during class - which I had been at first, but changed my ways - a program that will translate it into a Word document or something might indeed be a priority. Frantically flipping through handwritten notes for my 1L exams was not helpful, and I wasn't about to spend the time going over my notes from each class to put them in a word processor.

• Like 2

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

I found that the biggest game-changer wasn't necessarily the laptop or tablet, any half-decent one will do, but investing in an ultrawide monitor. That extra screen real estate is incredibly helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

halamadrid
  • Law Student

I have a second monitor and it's been a godsend especially during exam season. Was also helpful during covid for watching MNF/TNF during late classes 😅

• Like 1

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, halamadrid said:

I have a second monitor and it's been a godsend especially during exam season. Was also helpful during covid for watching MNF/TNF during late classes 😅

Wait, you brought a second monitor to class?

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Wait, you brought a second monitor to class?

I suspect the answer is no, although in my 3L year (2021-2022) people unironically made requests to Western's admin that we be allowed to bring second monitors to write exams because so many people used two during at-home COVID exams.

Admin said no, unsurprisingly.

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, TobyFlenderson said:

I suspect the answer is no, although in my 3L year (2021-2022) people unironically made requests to Western's admin that we be allowed to bring second monitors to write exams because so many people used two during at-home COVID exams.

Admin said no, unsurprisingly.

I forgot that school was online for a bit there..

• LOL 1

halamadrid
  • Law Student

Lol for use at home. Though I've heard of someone who brought their iMac for an exam....I don't know how

Mr. Blue
  • Applicant
On 7/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, Scrivener said:

ability to reference winds up being more important than your ability to retain

This is an extremely valuable point, thank you so much! I think I will be investing in a Surface tablet for all the reasons you've cited.

I use a surface and its great - easy to carry around and great battery life for note taking. You may want something a bit bigger for working on papers or major assignments also (I use a iMac at home) 

• 5 weeks later...
GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
On 6/22/2023 at 9:29 AM, Mr. Blue said:

I'm looking into getting a new device (laptop, tablet...etc.) for school and I'd love some insight into what type would be best. I was leaning towards some kind of tablet with a detachable keyboard (like a Surface tablet or an iPad), but was also considering something like the Remarkable that would be better for taking notes but does not have internet access. I have a larger laptop that I plan to keep at home and will probably get something lighter to travel to and from school with. What would you suggest?

I wish that I had a remarkable, but that’s just me. You definitely should have a laptop or tablet with Bluetooth keyboard that you have on hand for class because the odd time you will be asked to pull something up or submit something online. Some professors do this regularly and some out of the blue.

There was a remarkable on Facebook marketplace a couple weeks ago for a couple hundred dollars that I wish that I purchased. For me I want to remarkable because an iPad hurts my eyes. I have an occushield on my iPhone but there isn’t any equivalent “paper like” occushield for iPad. Also a blue light filter won’t resolve your brain processing refresh (which is mostly a concern for those with brain injuries or some neurological challenges).

A remarkable would be nice because I could mark up my PDFs and have my writing converted to text. I keep waiting for the SuperNote to launch the A5X2, but they keep on pushing back the launch date.