Study Routine/Schedule

blue134

blue134
  • Applicant

Hi guys! I was just curious to see how other people are studying for the LSAT?

How many months are you giving yourself? PTing how often? What does your study schedule look like? What was your diagnostic?

In my case:

I'm PTing once a week and I have four months before I am aiming to write the test (Nov). I study about 4-5 nights a week and focus on one section each week. As for my diagnostic it was actually horrible, 141, I thought this test would be the end of me, but I'm up to a 154 now and aiming for at least a 160 by test time and it seems doable. 

• Like 1

Lawguy14
  • Law Student

Everyone is going to be different. What I did and what my suggestion would be is to study everyday for 1 hour - make this hour count. Don’t go on your phone or get distracted - 1 hour straight of focused studying each day and try not to skip a day. The most useful way to use your time is to just do practice questions and then do 1 practice test each weekend and pretend it’s the real thing. Do everything you would do for the real test.

I would really suggest using LSAT Demon - I think it’s the best tool and they have the best approach which is in line with what I’ve laid out above. They also have a podcast called Thinking LSAT which is very helpful.
The only thing that I might reconsider if I’m you is to take the test when your practice test scores are - in your case - 160 or higher. No point in taking the test if you’re still in the 150’s.

You can make it into the 160’s, you’ve already shown massive improvement. Just stay consistent and work hard until you see those practice test scores.

My diagnostic was a 144 and I ended up with a 162 for context. I would say 6 months of studying is pretty standard but again it’s different for everyone. Use that time actually doing test questions and not on stupid theory (which is necessary but to a limited degree).

Ribbons
  • Law Student

I was stupid and studied for maybe 2-3 months while in 6 courses in my last semester of undergrad (exam January 2021). I initially tested at a 154 and only needed a 157 with my GPA to have a solid chance at the school I wanted and I was overly confident. I used Khan Academy and practiced 1-2hours every day. For the 2-3 weeks right before the exam, I did 2 PTs a week and just really focused on my natural skill set. I was naturally really good at reading comp so I set my focus on fine tuning that to get the most points and then with logic games (my worst) basically just tried to improve a little each time. 

I was regularly PTing at a 164 by the time of my exam. Day of the exam (covid so it was at home) my mom took a call and was chatting right outside the office I was doing my LSAT in and unfortunately during my reading comp section. I wish it didn't, but it threw my off a ton and I eventually asked the moderator if I could yell at her to be quiet. He said yes but my focus was thrown and it tossed my score. I ended up with a 157 which was lucky as it was just enough to get me in. 

Now (entering 3L) looking back it doesn't feel like such a big deal, but I do wish things played out differently and I had prepped mentally for distractions. I think if I were to do it again I would do a practice exam with a bunch of noises in the background and distracting lights or something to really push my ability to focus and make distractions less costly. 

Best of luck to you!!

Edited by Ribbons

blue134
  • Applicant
21 hours ago, Lawguy14 said:

Everyone is going to be different. What I did and what my suggestion would be is to study everyday for 1 hour - make this hour count. Don’t go on your phone or get distracted - 1 hour straight of focused studying each day and try not to skip a day. The most useful way to use your time is to just do practice questions and then do 1 practice test each weekend and pretend it’s the real thing. Do everything you would do for the real test.

I would really suggest using LSAT Demon - I think it’s the best tool and they have the best approach which is in line with what I’ve laid out above. They also have a podcast called Thinking LSAT which is very helpful.
The only thing that I might reconsider if I’m you is to take the test when your practice test scores are - in your case - 160 or higher. No point in taking the test if you’re still in the 150’s.

You can make it into the 160’s, you’ve already shown massive improvement. Just stay consistent and work hard until you see those practice test scores.

My diagnostic was a 144 and I ended up with a 162 for context. I would say 6 months of studying is pretty standard but again it’s different for everyone. Use that time actually doing test questions and not on stupid theory (which is necessary but to a limited degree).

Thank you! That is really helpful I was actually trying to decide between LSAT Demon and 7sage but with what you've said plus all the research/other people I've talked to, people have really good things to say about demon- especially the huge array of practice questions it gives you and the format to just drill them one by one. 

In terms of the taking the test when I'm in the 160s- that seems smart, the final score schools will consider is the Jan LSAT so I think the goal is to write the Nov. test but it takes however long it takes. 

Thank you though for all info and the advice!! I really appreciate it. 

18 hours ago, Ribbons said:

I was stupid and studied for maybe 2-3 months while in 6 courses in my last semester of undergrad (exam January 2021). I initially tested at a 154 and only needed a 157 with my GPA to have a solid chance at the school I wanted and I was overly confident. I used Khan Academy and practiced 1-2hours every day. For the 2-3 weeks right before the exam, I did 2 PTs a week and just really focused on my natural skill set. I was naturally really good at reading comp so I set my focus on fine tuning that to get the most points and then with logic games (my worst) basically just tried to improve a little each time. 

I was regularly PTing at a 164 by the time of my exam. Day of the exam (covid so it was at home) my mom took a call and was chatting right outside the office I was doing my LSAT in and unfortunately during my reading comp section. I wish it didn't, but it threw my off a ton and I eventually asked the moderator if I could yell at her to be quiet. He said yes but my focus was thrown and it tossed my score. I ended up with a 157 which was lucky as it was just enough to get me in. 

Now (entering 3L) looking back it doesn't feel like such a big deal, but I do wish things played out differently and I had prepped mentally for distractions. I think if I were to do it again I would do a practice exam with a bunch of noises in the background and distracting lights or something to really push my ability to focus and make distractions less costly. 

Best of luck to you!!

Wow good for you though and I'm glad it all worked out!! Preparing myself to be able to test under noisy/distracting conditions is definitely something I will try and incorporate, I hadn't even thought to do that.  

If you don't mind me asking what was your GPA?

• Like 1

Ribbons
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, blue134 said:

Thank you! That is really helpful I was actually trying to decide between LSAT Demon and 7sage but with what you've said plus all the research/other people I've talked to, people have really good things to say about demon- especially the huge array of practice questions it gives you and the format to just drill them one by one. 

In terms of the taking the test when I'm in the 160s- that seems smart, the final score schools will consider is the Jan LSAT so I think the goal is to write the Nov. test but it takes however long it takes. 

Thank you though for all info and the advice!! I really appreciate it. 

Wow good for you though and I'm glad it all worked out!! Preparing myself to be able to test under noisy/distracting conditions is definitely something I will try and incorporate, I hadn't even thought to do that.  

If you don't mind me asking what was your GPA?

I had a 4.0 cGPA (technically a 4.26/27 on a 4.3 GPA scale so an A+ average, I think i got 1-2 As in undergrad). 

• Like 1