Should I go to LASL or reapply next cycle?

Rose2289

Rose2289
  • Law School Admit

Hi everyone!

I got accepted into LASL in April. I also got into Windsor and waitlisted at UOttawa. I heard back from Osgoode a little bit ago and I didn’t get in. I was disheartened and it sent me down a spiral of whether I was good enough for law school especially because of all the discourse online about LASL (that’s where I provincially accepted). Is there really stigma against LASL or is the online commentary just overly harsh? I’m worried and scared that going to LASL is the wrong choice even though I was really excited to go initially and it was one of my top choices because I wanted to live and practice in Toronto. Should I reject my offer and reapply in the next cycle with a better LSAT and better personal statement for Osgoode? Does your choice of law school really matter? I’m just really torn right now. I could also go to LASL and try transferring? I know transferring is really difficult and there’s no guarantee. 

scooter
  • Law Student

Go to LASL and enjoy it. There is nothing wrong with the school, you are wayyyy overthinking this. It would be a really dumb decision for you to turn down an acceptance just to try applying to Osgoode again. Seek out some opinions directly from people who go to LASL if you want to ease your fears/anxieties. 

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student

Do not buy into this stigma nonsense. In the 2023 2L Toronto OCI recruit, TMU placed 12.67% of its students and Windsor placed 10.98%. Ottawa 11.15%. 

If your goal is Toronto, your chances are pretty much equal - perhaps higher with TMU because you have networking opportunities galore. You may need to take initiative (and have something you are interested in so you have something meaningful to talk about if you are cold calling), but your proximity can be to your benefit. 

What you also benefit from is a developing school. Is your school missing something? Well make it happen (but make sure to focus on your grades 1st). I am talking about clubs.

This is an opportunity for you with your peers to create something, reach out to legal professionals and ask them to share their expertise. You may even want to do something to support a specific affinity group and seek out corporate sponsors. This networking - if you don't make a fool out of yourself somehow along the way - can benefit you. 

A lot of people spoke poorly of TRU early on. Now many of TRU grads are employed at large firms (not necessarily national but definitely large regional). 

Edited by GoBigOrGoHome

Specterworld
  • Law School Admit

I would accept one of your offers and go. Waiting an extra year doesn’t make much sense.