UNB or U of A

ReticentSnacker

ReticentSnacker
  • Applicant

I am a newly single, mature student who is very debt adverse. I am hoping to move back to Ontario (alas - my stats meant I didn’t get into ON schools so far) when I’m done with school. I’m a homebody and keep to myself but like delicious food, and fun things to kill an afternoon (farmer’s markets, art shows, community theatre), and being within walking distance of everything as I don’t want to buy a car.

I have visited both Edmonton and Fredricton, and neither are places I can’t see myself living. I’m more concerned with the quality of my education, debt, and ability make friends and maybe date. Would be interested in seeing if there are mature students at each school, and if so how they felt their education was. 

Whist
  • Law Student

I'm not a K-JD, although I don't consider myself a mature student. I also don't know much about Fredericton, so hopefully others can comment on both those things. No one else has commented yet and since I'm going into 3L at UofA I can speak on the law school life here.

Fredericton is a shorter/cheaper flight to Ontario. Given UofA raised its tuition, UNB probably also costs less in that regard. I'm not sure if the cost of living will be way different, though I expect Fredericton is a bit cheaper. Edmonton is a much larger city and arts and theatre are popular here - we have the biggest Fringe festival in North America. There's a farmer's market downtown and one in Old Strathcona, not far from the uni, and I'm pretty happy with the food scene. UofA's law school is also bigger and more diverse. I know people who got jobs in Ontario from here, so it's doable. At least in central Edmonton I can get around without a car just fine. The rest of Edmonton is pretty car-centric though. I can't speak to the general dating scene, but law school led me and multiple people I know to their partners either roundaboutly or directly. I've also made some good friends here, multiple of whom are mature students. I haven't noticed an age divide except for a couple students on the youngest end of the possible law school age spectrum.