Is Windsor’s dual JD worth it?

Specterworld

Specterworld
  • Law School Admit

I was recently accepted to Windsor’s dual JD with Detroit Mercy Law school. I have also been accepted to some other schools (Western and University of Alberta). I’m just curious if it’s worth taking up the dual JD. I am interested in the ability to practice and perhaps live in the United States, but as I understand it Detroit Mercy is a tier 3 school, and it seems that if we still ranked things in Canada Windsor would be on the lower end.

interestingly, Windsor waitlisted me for their Canadian only JD.

Can anyone provide any insight on the above program and if it’s worth attending over the other schools? What types of applicants benefit the most from the dual JD program?

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

Windsor's dual program is the least attractive in Canada, given its high costs for little reward. The consensus is that having Detroit Mercy associated with your degree does not significantly improve your job prospects. However, the additional debt might negatively impact your future options. 

Go to U of A or Western. 

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, Specterworld said:

This is actually the norm, and that tells you all you need to know. The dual is less competitive than any 'normal' JD program in the country, precisely because you're paying more for something that doesn't open a lot of doors.

Unless you were absolutely sure you wanted to work in the US, and ok with the fact that Mercy only opens that door to a limited extent (in other words, it's not going to land you a prestigious job in New York or Chigago), then you should go to Western or U of A. 

If what you're dreaming about is actually a real estate practice in northern Michigan*, or something, then maybe the dual makes sense after all. It's a pretty small niche, though.

*I'm not making fun. We all have different goals, and if yours is something like that, then it really is worth exploring. Don't fall into the Big-Law self-streaming that 75% of your peers will!

Edited by TheDevilIKnow
  • Like 1

Hockeylawguy
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, Specterworld said:

I was recently accepted to Windsor’s dual JD with Detroit Mercy Law school. I have also been accepted to some other schools (Western and University of Alberta). I’m just curious if it’s worth taking up the dual JD. I am interested in the ability to practice and perhaps live in the United States, but as I understand it Detroit Mercy is a tier 3 school, and it seems that if we still ranked things in Canada Windsor would be on the lower end.

Can anyone provide any insight on the above program and if it’s worth attending over the other schools? What types of applicants benefit the most from the dual JD program?

If you are waitlisted for the Single JD, I would email the Dean and express how interested you are in attending Windsor (if that is where you want over Western) let them know you are accepted into the Dual program and that you would like to be a member of the single JD. 

Specterworld
  • Law School Admit

I actually ended up letting the offer expire, forgot to decline it and the next day they offered me the Canadian JD.

• Like 1

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, Specterworld said:

I actually ended up letting the offer expire, forgot to decline it and the next day they offered me the Canadian JD.

Luckiest man alive lmao. I was very close to letting my dual offer expire and rolling the dice on the single JD waitlist. You my friend have nerves of steel. 

Regardless congrats on both acceptances, make friends with the duals when you get down there so you can still enjoy what Detroit offers!  You're going to have a great time at Windsor.