Windsor or Robson Hall

ng5492022

ng5492022
  • Law School Admit

Hi all, I've been accepted to the JD programs at Windsor (Single) and the University of Manitoba. Relocating is not an issue for me, and I don't mind quieter cities. But I am having trouble deciding between them - I really like U of M's values and smaller community, but I know that I want to practice in Ontario for the rest of my career, which gives Windsor a slight edge. Any advice is appreciated! (I am thinking of specializing in IP) 

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Your intent to practice in Ontario gives Windsor a significant edge over Robson. UofM is a very regional school servicing Manitoba and maybe the prairies. You will be better positioned for Ontario recruits doing law school in Ontario. 

• Like 1

Dnian
  • Law Student

Agree with GoatDuck.

However, I would note it is not impossible to get into the Ontario market from UofM.

A lawyer I know graduated from UofM, managed to land a 2L summer gig in Ontario, and then took the Ontario bar just like anyone else would. However, this person was also fairly impressive and was likely near the top of the class grades-wise.

So, people definitely do it - it is just far less common a sight than Windsor grads. If you're dead set on Ontario, Windsor is probably still the better option. 

• Like 1