Question About Calculating OLSAS GPA

soma

soma
  • Law School Admit

So I read the FAQ and tried to calculate my OLSAS cGPA and I'm a little confused. It says: "Multiply the grade points by the number of credits of that course to find the total grade points earned for that course. Again, do this for each course you took, separately. Then, sum all of these up and divide that total by the number of credits you earned throughout your degree. The resulting number is your OLSAS GPA."

So, I went to UofT initially and I am finishing my undergrad at McMaster. At UofT, a full-year course was worth 1 credit, and a half-year course was worth 0.5. At Mac, a half-year course is worth 3 credits and a full-year course is worth 6 credits. How do I calculate my grade points if the numbers are different? What is the value of a full-year and a half-year course on the OLSAS scale? I checked the website with their chart, and it says "Full courses are given a weight of 2. Half courses are given a weight of 1." Here's an example:

I got an A+ in a course at Mac (7 on the conversion chart), which is a 4.0 on the OLSAS scale. The course was a half-year course, so I multiply that 4.0 by 1 to get 4.0. If it was a full-year course, I would multiply it by 2 to get 8.0 grade points for that course. Am I correct? I appreciate any help! 

scooter
  • Law Student

For simplicity just make a half year course worth 1 credit and a full year course worth 2 credits.

It doesn't matter what you make them worth as long as it's consistent, because you'll be dividing by the total number of credits at the end. Half courses could be worth 1 and full year courses worth 2. Or they could be worth 50 and 100. Or any other numbers, as long as you use the same number consistently and a full year course is worth twice as many credits as a half year course, the math works out.