NYC 2024 2L Recruit

Descartes98

Descartes98
  • Law Student

Hey everyone, haven't seen a post about the New York recruit yet so thought I'd start one. Please feel free to add on if you've heard from any firms yet (OCI or pre-OCI). Particularly curious if anyone's heard from Davis Polk!

OCIs: Sidley, Shearman, Sullivan & Cromwell

Alternate at Paul Weiss

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student

If anyone is considering NY seriously you need to get on applying direct. 

If you visit r/lawschool and the big law fishbowl you will find out that many firms are actively recruiting in pre-OCIs and some have cancelled their scheduled OCI visits to a number schools. 

Many people are applying to firms directly and through OCIs. A handful of firms have direction to not do that but many more are encouraging pre-OCI apps and will interview you sooner. 

So far, I’ve had to complete a few online assessments for a couple of firms, I received an interview offer for a V20 firm on Friday but in a state I can’t practice in straight out of a Canadian law school but I cancelled it so I don’t waste anyone’s time (through legal recruitment event similar to US OCI approach).

I’m not going to post details here because it really isn’t helpful in my circumstance. Any offers (if I receive any) aren’t coming through OCI’s. In addition to the typical firms that Canadians end up, I am applying broadly across the V100 as much as my time will allow. I will pick up the application pace shortly but I know that for the most part, I may already be too late for many firms. I’m going to receive way more rejections than interview offers (by a long shot), especially because UBC’s “reputation” isn’t well known. 

You will be able to get way more insight to the status of direct apps on r/lawschool. Visit the pinned OCI thread. 

If I actually end up being successful, I’ll come back next year and share my strategy. I know I would have better results if I was actively networking, but I don’t have the energy for that right now.

Edited by GoBigOrGoHome