French Language

subsituteoaktree

subsituteoaktree
  • Applicant

How have anglophones found courses here?

Edited by subsituteoaktree
My old question was a question that could only be answered by the admissions team.

• subsituteoaktree changed the title to French Language
Ob16
  • Law Student
On 7/13/2023 at 2:02 PM, subsituteoaktree said:

How have anglophones found courses here?

I didn’t end up attending, but there is a French test you have to pass to get accepted. I decided to accept my offer to Ottawa as an anglophone instead. I suck at conversing and making small talk in French, but I went to a full French school from JK to gr12. Moncton is less than half the cost, but I did not want to risk it. 

• 4 weeks later...
bubbles
  • Law Student

You might be surprised by the significant number of anglophones in the JD program at Moncton. Apart from the French language entry test, you'll need to enroll in a French language course in addition to your 1L courses, but only if you completed your undergraduate studies at an English language institution. Furthermore, the proficiency of your French grammar, spelling, and other language aspects STRONGLY influences your grades. However, despite these challenges, anglophones still excel in the program.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
certified18
  • Applicant

Hi, does anyone know what the language test is? The website says "une rédaction de 400 mots" but I also saw elsewhere that it was a grammar test. 

Ob16
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, certified18 said:

Hi, does anyone know what the language test is? The website says "une rédaction de 400 mots" but I also saw elsewhere that it was a grammar test. 

I did it last year, however, I was accepted to Ottawa and decided not to attend Moncton. It’s just a 400 word essay, you’re allowed a dictionary and bécherelle but no translators. There is a proctor there and it’s on zoom. You have the option of a few basic topics and write about only one of them. 

certified18
  • Applicant
11 hours ago, Ob16 said:

I did it last year, however, I was accepted to Ottawa and decided not to attend Moncton. It’s just a 400 word essay, you’re allowed a dictionary and bécherelle but no translators. There is a proctor there and it’s on zoom. You have the option of a few basic topics and write about only one of them. 

Oh ok perfect, is it like simple everyday topics or law-related topics? 

Ob16
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, certified18 said:

Oh ok perfect, is it like simple everyday topics or law-related topics? 

It would be like topics you’d see in like middle school when you learn how to write an essay question. Something like what are your 3 favourite foods and why? Not that exact question but that level of complexity. But your answer is completely irrelevant, they just care about grammar mistakes. I think you need to achieve a B to pass and be accepted (it may be c+ I can’t really remember). I think you lose points for every grammar mistake. 

I went to school in French up until gr12 but it was always my worst subject. I did my undergrad in English and didn’t read, write or speak a word in French my entire undergrad. I passed Ottawa and Monctons test. You should have no problem at all.

Edited by Ob16
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
lawschoolapplicant01
  • Applicant

hello! English applicant here and this may be a stupid question but my portal was updated and it says "admission conditionnelle" can someone tell me what this actually means?

I never got an email or anything from them and its been a few days... Does this just mean conditional as is pending the french test they have english applicants do? If so where do I find information on that/when does this happen?

Edited by lawschoolapplicant01

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, lawschoolapplicant01 said:

English applicant here and this pay be a stupid question but my portal was updated and it says "admission conditionnelle" can someone tell me what this actually means?

Man, you're in for a rough go if you can't translate "admission conditionnelle"! 

• LOL 1

lawschoolapplicant01
  • Applicant
Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

Man, you're in for a rough go if you can't translate "admission conditionnelle"! 

LOL no not literally translate it, i mean like what does it mean in terms of their acceptance process... I'm just confused with what I need to do now

• Like 1

certified18
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, lawschoolapplicant01 said:

hello! English applicant here and this pay be a stupid question but my portal was updated and it says "admission conditionnelle" can someone tell me what this actually means?

I never got an email or anything from them and its been a few days... Does this just mean conditional as is pending the french test they have english applicants do? If so where do I find information on that/when does this happen?

Hey, also an English applicant! Basically you got accepted but need to complete some requirements before it’s 100%. Yeah it’s conditional pending the French essay test. I was told that it will take place in May. You can call or email the admission team for more information. 

lawschoolapplicant01
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, certified18 said:

Hey, also an English applicant! Basically you got accepted but need to complete some requirements before it’s 100%. Yeah it’s conditional pending the French essay test. I was told that it will take place in May. You can call or email the admission team for more information. 

Thank you so much! I kind of figured thats what I was waiting on since im already out of school so my grades wont change or anything but I expected an email or something regarding test information when the portal changed haha!