Grades for OCIs -- am I screwed?

uoftearsalumna

uoftearsalumna
  • Applicant

I'm an incoming 2L at western and I feel unsure if i should apply for OCIs. After spending my entire summer crafting my materials and networking (I networked quite extensively by attending firm tours and meeting for coffee with lawyers), I feel like all my efforts will net me 0 OCIs. I just want some OCIs. I understand the recruit's a numbers game, but i'm willing to try and make even a few OCIs work. My 1L grades are 1A, 3B and 3B- (thankfully no Cs). Im applying to about 40 firms: big and small bay firms, boutiques, and some government branches. I also have solid work experience (clinic and mooting in 1L, past corporate work this year and last year), but I feel my grades will have all that be completely looked over. Any insights?!?

Edited by uoftearsalumna

LMP
  • Articling Student

You'll be fine. I can't promise you'll get offers but if you applied as broadly as you say you did, you'll get interviews. 

You're grades are ok and your experience is pretty good. Be confident! If you are truly concerned just cast a wider net and apply even more broadly.

• Like 1

uoftearsalumna
  • Applicant
8 minutes ago, LMP said:

You'll be fine. I can't promise you'll get offers but if you applied as broadly as you say you did, you'll get interviews. 

You're grades are ok and your experience is pretty good. Be confident! If you are truly concerned just cast a wider net and apply even more broadly.

thanks for your insight. getting interviews is definitely my concern right now, hoping my resume props me up and that my networking pays off. i'm ideally targeting full service but am applying to boutiques and government as i mentioned (most of my networking, like 95%, was at full service). just hoping for some interviews on reveal day!

Edited by uoftearsalumna