3.3/4.0 B2/L2/CGPA -> Should I even try?

brokeApe

Hello,

I consistently was a B+ (3.3/4.0) student during my undergrad.

Is there any chance of me getting into Law School in Canada with a high LSAT score?

Edited by brokeApe

omigone
  • Law Student

You definitely have a shot at a number of Canadian law schools, even without a high LSAT. If it's helpful, you could browse through the "Accepted" posts for each law school to get a sense of the GPAs and LSAT scores for each school. I did a quick browse on UOttawa as an example and saw someone accepted in June with a 3.3 and <160 on the LSAT. 

You're likely out of the running for some law schools (UofT and UBC come to mind) but have a good shot at almost all others. I would also keep in mind that some schools look at your best 3 years (UofT does this, so if your B3 is high enough, you might have a shot there too) instead of cGPA, while some place greater emphasis on your L2, which is very high. 

Best of luck!

Edited by omigone

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

I think when OP said they had a 3.3/4.0, they meant that they were consistently at 3.3 out of 4.0, not that their CGPA was 3.3 but that they had a B2 of 4.0. The use of slashes is just a bit tricky.

If I'm right in that interpretation, @brokeApe, it would reduce options a bit. It is correct that you do have a shot at some schools, and it is worth writing the LSAT. But it's likely not just UBC and UT that will be off the table. Schools like UVic, Queen's and Western would likely be out of range even with quite a high LSAT. Likely the same with U of A and U of C, although it seems U of C is increasingly "holistic".

If you get an LSAT in the 160s, you will likely have a shot at schools like Ottawa, Lakehead, TRU, Sask, U of M, UNB. Some schools are harder to predict because they lean heavily on things other than numbers (Windsor is the classic example, but I understand this to be the case with TMU as well, and possibly Calgary).

Last thing I would say is that we tend to normalize relatively high LSAT scores here. This is a bit distorted from reality. 160 is a high score compared with the actual median score (which is around 152 or something). We get desensitized by high scores on this site because law school in Canada is hard to get into, and even the least selective law schools in Canada have entering LSAT averages well above the actual average among test-takers (who are, themselves, a motivated bunch of University-educated people). So hopefully you can get into the 160s, and you may need to do so in order to gain admission. But it's not easy to do so, and you're not stupid if you don't.

Best of luck.

1 hour ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

I think when OP said they had a 3.3/4.0, they meant that they were consistently at 3.3 out of 4.0, not that their CGPA was 3.3 but that they had a B2 of 4.0. The use of slashes is just a bit tricky.

If I'm right in that interpretation, @brokeApe, it would reduce options a bit. It is correct that you do have a shot at some schools, and it is worth writing the LSAT. But it's likely not just UBC and UT that will be off the table. Schools like UVic, Queen's and Western would likely be out of range even with quite a high LSAT. Likely the same with U of A and U of C, although it seems U of C is increasingly "holistic".

If you get an LSAT in the 160s, you will likely have a shot at schools like Ottawa, Lakehead, TRU, Sask, U of M, UNB. Some schools are harder to predict because they lean heavily on things other than numbers (Windsor is the classic example, but I understand this to be the case with TMU as well, and possibly Calgary).

Last thing I would say is that we tend to normalize relatively high LSAT scores here. This is a bit distorted from reality. 160 is a high score compared with the actual median score (which is around 152 or something). We get desensitized by high scores on this site because law school in Canada is hard to get into, and even the least selective law schools in Canada have entering LSAT averages well above the actual average among test-takers (who are, themselves, a motivated bunch of University-educated people). So hopefully you can get into the 160s, and you may need to do so in order to gain admission. But it's not easy to do so, and you're not stupid if you don't.

Best of luck.

Hey, I meant 3.3 is my gpa for every year. I put the /4.0 because I know some schools use a different scale.

So L2 - 3.3 B2 - 3.3 CGPA - 3.3

Hmmmm, I always knew id have to score above 160 and I was told that even getting to the point to be able to do that is a long road.

I'm glad there is a chance of me getting into any school at all with my gpa. Not really picky about which school.

Thanks for wishing me luck!

Edited by brokeApe

student6
  • Applicant

A 4.0 L2 is definitely something to be proud of and definitely a reason to shoot your shot at Canadian Law schools. Currently, I'm looking at a 3.5/3.45 of my B2/L2 and I'm still applying everywhere. 

Especially for schools like Western Law who said that they look at the progression in your GPA over time and do isolate your B2/L2 when looking at your application, you should definitely try (and I have full faith that you will succeed).

Wishing you all the best with applications 🙂

On 7/28/2023 at 8:39 AM, student6 said:

A 4.0 L2 is definitely something to be proud of and definitely a reason to shoot your shot at Canadian Law schools. Currently, I'm looking at a 3.5/3.45 of my B2/L2 and I'm still applying everywhere. 

Especially for schools like Western Law who said that they look at the progression in your GPA over time and do isolate your B2/L2 when looking at your application, you should definitely try (and I have full faith that you will succeed).

Wishing you all the best with applications 🙂

Err I really messed up the title and didn't realize until it was too late how confusing it was.

I actually consistently maintained a 3.3 gpa on a 4.0 scale:

Year 1 - 3.3

Year 2 - 3.3

Year 3 - 3.3

Year 4 - 3.3

I wish you luck as well.

Edited by brokeApe