USask, UBC, UVictoria, U of T and Dalhousie

Donut2001

Donut2001
  • Undergrad

Hello everyone!

I am a pre-law student entering my final year of undergrad in Saskatchewan (Regina). I am applying to schools this Fall 2023 and I am trying to gain a better understanding of which school might be right for me. I am mostly interested in Indigenous related matters (Indigenous law and policy) as well as constitutional law, etc. I would have to move for school regardless but obviously a move to Saskatoon would be less of a move than a move to Nova Scotia. I am not adamant on staying/living in Saskatchewan forever, however I am trying to think long term about what is really important to me: working in the area I am passionate about (Indigenous issues), making a good salary, and being able to live comfortably with a family (I absolutely want to afford a home eventually once I am working) and I want to make sure I have  career opportunities that both give a good salary but facilitate work/life balance (to the extent it can with law). I should note: It is also not only myself moving but my partner as well as my cat. 

My stats are: about a 92%-93% average (UGPA with the last two years roughly the same or just higher)  and I am writing my LSAT in August/September (with Practice Exams hovering around a 165). Strong softs (lots of relevant volunteer experience, highly involved on campus, and good letters of rec).

My top school choices are: UBC, UVictoria, U of T, and Dalhousie. However, I have had some doubts lately since everyone says its better to stay where you are, go to school in the province you (might) want to work in - So should I just stay in Saskatchewan? 

- UBC, UVictoria, and Dalhousie have interested me because of their course offerings/specializations/programs in Indigenous affairs. I also have heard that by going to these schools (compared to USask) I would have better job opportunities (and that lots of internships are out in these bigger centres so I would have to move (at least for some time) anyway). Being some of the 'top' schools, I have really fallen into this narrative wherein I truly believe they would provide better opportunities. I would love to hear others opinions on this!

- As for U of T, it has pulled my interest recently because of its diverse range of course offerings - so its also been in consideration though I do worry about living there. 

- USask is obviously still a good school and they do have an Indigenous legal centre - I just really worry that it does not compare to some of the 'top' ones for my specific purposes. Any thoughts on U of A for me as well? 

Overall, would just love some advice - feeling really thankful I found this community so thank you all 🙂

Ozymandius24
  • Law School Admit

I would say the first step is getting in, apply broadly and maybe adjust where you apply after you write your LSAT, Alberta and Calgary are fine schools too, so is TRU. All schools seem to provide opportunities and many have great course offerings. Second, a year is a long time away, many things can change including your interests and outlook. Third, given what has been said on the forums, yes it's easier to practice where you go to school but fairly common for the opposite. Other things to take into consideration, housing is a pain in Vancouver and Victoria, especially with a pet and your partners ability to find a job where you move, just to name two. And finally, do not put too much emphasis on how much money you want to make/work life balance. Yes everyone wants those things but if that's what you care most about do not waste 3 years going to law school. Yes pretty good chances you'll make good money as a lawyer but ask yourself what happens if you don't, would you still want to do this job.

This post isn't meant to confuse you more just to let you know do not put all your eggs in the aforementioned law schools, give yourself as much opportunity to make an informed decision come admission time as you can. No school will give you all that you are asking for, some may check some but not all the boxes.