cGPA: 92.34%-93.07% & LSAT (Estimated: 165)

Donut2001

Donut2001
  • Undergrad

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if everyone can be brutally honest and 'chance' me for the following institutions: University of British Columbia, University of Victoria (JD/JID Program), University of Alberta, Dalhousie). 

cGPA: 92.34%-93.07% (with the last two years at a 93%) and I write my LSAT this August and September. I am a first time test taker but I am getting around 165 in my practice exams (and will retake until I do get a 164-165). I also have quite strong softs (extensive volunteer experience and academic involvement but not as much 'true' work experience). 

Thanks everyone! 

Donut2001
  • Undergrad

@GoatDuck What do you think would be the lowest I could get LSAT wise to get into a place like UBC? Also, thanks for your response! 🙂

Dnian
  • Law Student
29 minutes ago, Donut2001 said:

@GoatDuck What do you think would be the lowest I could get LSAT wise to get into a place like UBC? Also, thanks for your response! 🙂

Your predicted LSAT score is basically the median.

Your GPA is significantly above the median, which Canadian law schools generally care more about than LSAT.

Put two and two together, and one could guesstimate that a score in the 160-164 range would still give you a very strong shot at UBC.

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

Unless something has changed, UBC admissions use an index score that you can calculate using this tool. An index score over 92 was competitive for UBC in past years, although they place more emphasis on written materials than they did previously. UVic also uses an index score for admissions. 

https://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/UBC/Predict

Dnian
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, WiseGhost said:

Unless something has changed, UBC admissions use an index score that you can calculate using this tool. An index score over 92 was competitive for UBC in past years, although they place more emphasis on written materials than they did previously. UVic also uses an index score for admissions. 

https://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/UBC/Predict

My one note would be that this isn't fully foolproof - I think it assigns more value to splitters than the actual admissions committee would. For example, an LSAT score of 150 with OP's GPA yields a likelihood of 87%-93% to get in. 

Using OP's last two years GPA, a 148 apparently yields a 68%-73% chance of admission..

In reality, anyone with an LSAT in that range would be highly unlikely to get in, even with an impressive GPA. So, don't use this calculator as a safety net to think, "oh, I'll be fine if I score in the 150s, my GPA is high enough anyways" because I do not think that is true.