Where Should I Apply? 3.4 cGPA/ 160 LSAT

student6

student6
  • Applicant

Hey! I wanted to get some general advice about my chances applying to Canadian Law Schools for Fall 2024 admissions as a General applicant. 

My cGPA after 3 years of studying at UofT in a Social Sciences major is a 3.42 (OLSAS scale). My B2 of these these three years is a 3.5, and my L2 of these three years is a 3.45. For schools like UBC and TMU Law (that drop your lowest qualifying credits) my cGPA becomes a 3.6/ around a 80%.

I'm about to take the LSAT in August and September but my score right now is looking in the mid 160s. 

I have great work experience and I'm expecting some of my professional references to be pretty good. Not too sure how my academic references will be (assuming they're going to be pretty standard).

I'm aware that UofT Law is pretty out of the question, but I wanted to know about my chances at other Ontario and Canadian Law Schools. Right now, my eye is on UOttawa, McGill (I'm a Quebec resident), UBC, UVic, Western and Queens (and obviously Osgoode lol).

Can anyone chance me based on these stats? My backup plan was to maybe take a year off so that schools can look at my fourth year grades when applying which would *hopefully* bring my B2/L2 up to a 3.7 and maybe give myself more time for my LSAT. 

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights anyone can provide 

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

Given your stats, I wouldn't bet on acceptance to your target schools. A 160 LSAT is relatively good, but you need a higher score to compensate for your GPA. 

Your idea of taking a year off before applying could drastically improve your odds, especially at schools like Western and Queens which look at L2/B2. 

• 1 month later...
student6
  • Applicant
On 7/31/2023 at 3:59 PM, WiseGhost said:

Given your stats, I wouldn't bet on acceptance to your target schools. A 160 LSAT is relatively good, but you need a higher score to compensate for your GPA. 

Your idea of taking a year off before applying could drastically improve your odds, especially at schools like Western and Queens which look at L2/B2. 

Hey! I just got my LSAT back and I got a 164 (85th percentile). Given my 3.44 cGPA and 164 LSAT, does this change anything?

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

That's a good improvement and could make a difference! I'll try to explain your chances more thoroughly using what I know from a couple of years of reading admissions threads. 

UBC and UVic are likely off the table. These two schools use index scores combining GPA and LSAT, and I believe you're unfortunately still under the index cutoff for them. UBC has adopted a slightly more holistic approach recently, but the index still counts for 2/3 iirc. They do count CEGEP grades in the calculation though (not 100% sure on this)... so if you had excellent percentage marks in CEGEP that could boost you. 

McGill and Osgoode are holistic, so never say never if you can craft a compelling story. However, most of the students they accept have higher GPAs and/or LSAT scores. 

I think you have a decent shot at UOttawa. Queens and Western also accept some candidates with similar LSAT and CGPA profiles, but they generally have higher L2s/B2s. If your final year brings those up, I think that would give you much more certainty. 

Ultimately, while I might sound like a negative Nancy here, you only need one acceptance. Schools also review files after January, so a GPA improvement this fall could help you - I recommend taking a couple of courses you think you can do well in.  

Tickled
  • Law Student

I was accepted to uOttawa, Windsor, Calgary, and TMU with a 3.44 from UofT and a 165 LSAT. Good luck with your applications!

• 1 month later...
zlaw
  • Applicant
On 9/5/2023 at 11:46 AM, Tickled said:

I was accepted to uOttawa, Windsor, Calgary, and TMU with a 3.44 from UofT and a 165 LSAT. Good luck with your applications!

hey don’t mind me asking but what year did you get accepted? congrats btw!!! and also did you have any work expirience or good softs?