Articling Duration

Bachtowork

Bachtowork
  • Articling Student

I've just started articling and my employer has given me the option to article for 8, 9, or 10 months. Since 10 months was the standard before the pandemic, would an 8-month articling term be looked on less favourably by future employers? 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I don't think it will matter. IMO the sooner you can get called, do things an articling student can't do, and get a pay bump, the better.

• Like 2

Bachtowork
  • Articling Student
4 hours ago, CleanHands said:

I don't think it will matter. IMO the sooner you can get called, do things an articling student can't do, and get a pay bump, the better.

I agree. If there aren't any administrative calls before the LSO's June call to the bar, at least I'd get some extra vacation time...

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

On the other hand, it can be advantageous to article for 10 months because it isn't your ass on the line. It gives you a little more time to get familiar with the practice area before being thrown in. The decision will also depend on your comfort, confidence and patience for being someone's underling. By the end of articles, I was hungry to take on files and make my own decisions. Others are more cautious and wish they could spend longer in mentorship before assuming full responsibility for mistakes (and meeting billable targets). 

If it were me, I'd go with 10 months because (1) bills need to be paid, and (2) more experience is more experience, even if it sucks. And if it does suck, it's only an extra 2 months. 

• Like 1

Bachtowork
  • Articling Student
4 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

On the other hand, it can be advantageous to article for 10 months because it isn't your ass on the line. It gives you a little more time to get familiar with the practice area before being thrown in. The decision will also depend on your comfort, confidence and patience for being someone's underling. By the end of articles, I was hungry to take on files and make my own decisions. Others are more cautious and wish they could spend longer in mentorship before assuming full responsibility for mistakes (and meeting billable targets). 

If it were me, I'd go with 10 months because (1) bills need to be paid, and (2) more experience is more experience, even if it sucks. And if it does suck, it's only an extra 2 months. 

If there aren't any administrative calls in April or May of 2024, then it would be nice to get paid for those two months, especially since I'm having a great time here. It seems that my work is going to be quite repetitive so I'm not sure if two months will really make a difference to my skillset. I wish the LSO would publish their administrative call dates for next year, because I would like to get called earlier if possible and perhaps a three-month break between articling and the first post-call job is too long?

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

@Bachtowork I had a two-month gap between the end of articles and when I secured my current job. I don't think three is too long. Besides, the first couple years post-call are a grind and, more often than not, people transition straight from JD to articles to practice without much of a break/vacation. 

• Like 1

Bachtowork
  • Articling Student
11 minutes ago, Phaedrus said:

@Bachtowork I had a two-month gap between the end of articles and when I secured my current job. I don't think three is too long. Besides, the first couple years post-call are a grind and, more often than not, people transition straight from JD to articles to practice without much of a break/vacation. 

Yeah, I may never have a few months off again once I become a lawyer. When did you start applying for first year associate positions? 

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

Mentorship and guidance will vary depending on where you work. I still had lots of support on files after I was called because the firm knew I was (and still am) very junior. I still asked a lot of questions and had my stuff checked by more senior lawyers. Again, depends on where you work.

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 1