Weird situation about articling interview notification

huskybins

huskybins
  • Law Student

Hey folks!

I missed a call made from 905 839 1151 on July 22 and later looked it up online and found it was from OPG (Ontario Power Generation) at Pickering. 

I did submit my application to OPG early July and July 22 was during the period which an applicant may expect to receive an interview request call for their articling position.

I called back last week and this morning but nobody answered my call. I shot one email to its contact of articling program and got response: "...  OPG did not make any calls at that time with regards to interviews". 

It looks so weird to me for: I do not live in Pickering and I do not have any connections whatsoever to OPG before this application. So without my application that reveals my cellphone number, OPG probably did not know how to call me.  Then, it made the call to me during the interviewing request period, and now tells me it did not make such a call, what on earth does it mean?

Just wonder if anyone who can confirm with me that you were called by this number to get your interview opportunity of OPG.

Thanks all!

Thrive92
  • Applicant

Change your voicemail so that they are more likely to leave behind a message.

Edited by Thrive92
correction x2
  • LOL 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

It was probably a duped number made to look like it was from OPG so people would answer. 

Even if it wasn’t, I’m a bit confused by what your plan is here. If someone says “oh yeah they called”, are you going to email the hiring contact and say “you lied to me, give me my interview you little liar”? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

huskybins
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

It was probably a duped number made to look like it was from OPG so people would answer. 

Even if it wasn’t, I’m a bit confused by what your plan is here. If someone says “oh yeah they called”, are you going to email the hiring contact and say “you lied to me, give me my interview you little liar”? 

LOL It's part of my plan. Honestly, I will have a ground to file my complaint to an appropriate venue inside OPG. 

Plus, I doubt duped calling numbers can be made as that real as an actual existing one like in this case based on my personal experience. All duped numbers I received so far are just simply either those starting with 1 8xx or those that share the first 4 to 5 digits with your own number. For example, anyone ever received a duped number in faking CRA or RCMP? I personally don't.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I think you should probably consider whether filing a complaint against a company you are trying to work at is a good idea, particularly when the bar is as small as it is. A 3L reporting reputable employers based on frankly bizarre allegations is exactly the type of thing that spreads quickly.

Even if you could somehow prove they were going to offer you an interview and simply changed their mind, so what? There’s nothing prohibiting them from doing that. 

And yes, scammers can spoof basically any number

• Like 7

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

Change your voicemail so that they are more likely to leave behind a message.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I am just going to go ahead and apropos of nothing remind everyone that there is no delete button.

So should any of you decide to suggest a company is misleading its applicants without any proof whatsoever… please do not later message the mods demanding your post be removed. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4