OLSAS GPA: 2.7, LSAT: 155

HopefulLaw

HopefulLaw
  • Applicant

This is my 2nd application cycle and I was rejected. I understand that CGPA is an important part of the application and that mine is low. Just wanted some advice about if there is anything that I can do to improve my chances. 

- Currently I am studying to take the September LSAT and I am scoring around 160. Although the higher the better given my low GPA, I am considering writing it later in the fall as well if I can get a score above 160. 

Education:

- Undegrad: BSc and MSc in Environmental Sciences

CV: I have many volunteer experiences in hospitals/science research/social impact. I have work experience in a few policy analyst positions in the Gov of Canada, but nothing law related - more related to science literature and public health.

I am really hoping that a higher LSAT score helps my application, but I am scared that my CGPA is just too low, no matter how high of an LSAT score I get. I would greatly appreciate any advice about what I can emphasize in my personal statement to demonstrate that I would be a successful law student. Thank you in Advance. 

HopefulLaw
  • Applicant

L2: 3.39

B2: 3.39 

although i took 6 years to complete my undergrad as I took a semester off, and I also repeated some classes that I didn't pass in my first year. So I didn't do a traditional 4 years. 

Roflskate
  • Law Student

Literally made an account here just to reply to you. I had a very similar OLSAS CGPA at 2.9 (undiagnosed ADHD and mental health crisis in my L2 so those were like a 2.6 and 3.5 for my B2) and a 162 on my LSAT. I have similar work experiences with some additional volunteering at a pro bono legal association in my city.

I only applied to two Ontario law schools, Ottawa and Windsor, and was directly accepted into both. Overall, I got into 3/4 of the schools I applied to (annoyingly, my undergrad alma mater was the only school I was rejected from). 

IF you get your LSAT above 160, I think you have a solid chance, particularly if you are able to apply mature and/or access. Your personal statement is also important, but a good LSAT score is something that's more recent that can HEAVILY offset a less than stellar GPA, particularly if you are mature. If you're able to get above 165, you're in a very comfortable position.

• Like 1

HopefulLaw
  • Applicant

Thank you for the detailed reply; I really appreciate knowing that you were in a similar boat and that it worked out for you! I am confident that I can get my LSAT above 160 for this upcoming fall, thankfully. 

In terms of application, I've only applied as a general applicant. I wasn't too sure how I'd qualify for the Access category, but I'll look into that for the next application cycle. 

Thank you!! 

• Hugs 1

law_665
  • Law Student

Throwaway for obvious reasons. 

157, 2.7ish CGPA, L2: 3.7, B2: 3.8

I remember being in this position and looking for people like me but they were few and far between. I got into 2 Ontario law school's with a 157 and 2.7ish CGPA (moved back home in first year after a tragedy but too late to withdraw from courses). I went on to pursue an accelerated paralegal degree from a local college where I received straight A's. Keep your head up, I applied 2-3 times before receiving any acceptances but excelling in paralegal while working multiple jobs affirmed to me that I can do it and that I DO deserve a spot like everyone else. 

Although the natural course of action is to do really well on the LSAT, I could not score what I was receiving on my PT's for the life of me. I decided to work really hard on writing a compelling personal statement and believe I demonstrated my passion, persistence and capability by excelling in my paralegal program. What I will say, however, is that I have found law school challenging. Although I was putting in the hours I did in undergrad and paralegal, I wasn't achieving the results I was used to or the grades that my peers putting in half the effort were receiving. I'm not sure if I should have taken my initial struggle to get in as an indicator that it would be more challenging for me or not but it's definitely something to keep in mind. 

If you're passionate and you work hard, they will see that. They saw it in me and despite the challenges I faced adapting to law school, I believe I have proved to be deserving of the opportunity someone saw in me. Don't give up and feel free to PM me if you need any words of encouragement. 

Goodluck!

• Like 1