Should I even bother

snowman446

snowman446
  • Undergrad

Chance me.

CGPA: 3.70

1st LSAT attempt (without studying at all): 132

Self-studying (7sage & Mike’s Trainer Book) materials don’t seem to be helping much, as I am not seeing or seeing much progression. 

Should I pursue something else, perhaps?

aurora borealis
  • Law Student

That score is not going to get you in anywhere.

Have you tried other ways of studying for the LSAT (eg Khan Academy, Powerscore, an LSAT course)?

thrill
  • Law Student

hard to say because i can’t tell how you’re studying. to be honest with a diagnostic score that low it’s hard NOT to see you improving. take a few days off and charge back in? 

but yeah hard to say because i can’t tell what lsat you’ll end up with. a low diagnostic sucks but you can certainly end up with a respectable score with enough time and effort. maybe elaborate on your lack of progress?

• Like 1

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

Performance on the LSAT does not have a 1:1 correlation to success as a law student and a lawyer. However, some of the skills that the LSAT tests for (like reading comprehension and analysis) are essential for lawyers. If you have been studying for a significant time and have yet to see much progress, your strengths may lie elsewhere. 

I agree with @thrill that you can improve to a respectable score. 

• Like 1

Monophobia
  • Law Student

Most people are not magically good at the LSAT, so a low diagnostic score is nothing to fret about. For most people it requires a relatively great deal of time and practice to increase your score to a competitive standard. Deciding you are serious about attending law school and putting in the required work to make yourself a competitive applicant is half the battle! If you decide you are serious about attending law school, I would recommend that you just keep hammering away at practice questions and really put in the time to sit down to review each question you got wrong. Ask yourself why you did not select the correct answer, and how you need to revise your thought processes to arrive at the correct answer next time around. Improvement usually comes in small increments over extended periods of time, as opposed to leaps and bounds in short timeframes. 

Yogurt Baron
7 hours ago, snowman446 said:

I just want to give you some credit for this.

Tons of people---including, especially, me---have come onto this board and its predecessor over the year without any awareness that there are other things they can pursue. I've seen hundreds of, "Well, my stats are completely non-competitive, but as we all know, 'lawyer' is the only job, so how can I salvage this?" Somebody even acknowledging that they might have to go do something else...that's rare enough and special enough to merit some commendation.

Regarding the substance of your post, there's a bit of a divide between people who think the LSAT is fundamentally a test of aptitudes or is something you can or should learn---and I think Kids Nowadays are increasingly skewing in the latter direction. And, I mean, both things are probably true. But by dint of even understanding that there are other options and that you could pursue one, you're doing better than a lot of people.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, snowman446 said:

Chance me.

CGPA: 3.70

1st LSAT attempt (without studying at all): 132

Self-studying (7sage & Mike’s Trainer Book) materials don’t seem to be helping much, as I am not seeing or seeing much progression. 

hire a private tutor

• Like 1

Law nerd 221
  • Lawyer

There are other areas of work you can pursue and no one is saying that you should either be a lawyer or nothing... but if your mind is set on law, work as hard as you can and try as much as you need to, to reach your goal! I got a 147 on my first LSAT attempt... I studied for an extra 6-7 months and took a course...and I improved. Don't listen to people who are trying to discourage you.