Bored?

24wds

24wds
  • Articling Student

I got what I thought would be a dream articling position but I am…bored. I don’t know if it’s simply not enough work, or if I find this lawyering thing boring. Anyone else go through something similar? And recent calls have any insight? So far I am left wondering if being a lawyer is for me. 

• Like 1

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer

What do you find boring? The tasks? The subject matter?

It's difficult to say anything without knowing more about what you're doing.

• Like 1

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

If there is no enough work...Don't confine yourself to articling-related jobs only, people will notice if you are actively trying to help others; or are willing to do administrative tasks.  A law firm takes a team to run efficiently. Find your role.

Take initiative if you don't have anything on your plate. In law, you will not get assigned work often, so find work or generate work.

For example, when I articled, I also cleared tables and did dishes for my boss after a farewell celebration/after clients left (the same boardroom needed to be used for a client meeting later). No one asked me to do it, but I did it anyway. My boss appreciated it a lot when she walked into the boardroom with no noticeable signs of a party an hour ago. Everything was sparkly clean.

• Like 1