USask vs. Dalhousie

Screaming_and_Crying

Screaming_and_Crying

Thoughts and opinions? Got accepted into both. Had one day to respond to Dalhousie.

Edited by Screaming_and_Crying

Renerik
  • Law Student

Where do you want to practice after grad? Any idea on what kind of law you want to practice? What's your financial situation like (usask tuition+rent is cheaper)? Is one of the two closer to family/support? Would you prefer cold winters or hurricanes for the next 3 years?

On 8/10/2023 at 8:50 AM, Screaming_and_Crying said:

Thoughts and opinions? Got accepted into both. Had one day to respond to Dalhousie.

Dalhousie is rated as a better law school and better university. It has been rated #4 law school in the country at times, U of S is typically #12-14. Schulich is a philanthropist, and his schools are very well funded. Winter is -10°C in Nova Scotia and -40°C in Saskatchewan lol.  That is amazing! Good luck to you! Whatever you choose, will be your best choice. 

• Like 1

DennisNextDoor
  • Lawyer
On 8/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, Jaxon said:

Dalhousie is rated as a better law school and better university. It has been rated #4 law school in the country at times, U of S is typically #12-14. Schulich is a philanthropist, and his schools are very well funded. Winter is -10°C in Nova Scotia and -40°C in Saskatchewan lol.  That is amazing! Good luck to you! Whatever you choose, will be your best choice. 

Those rankings typically mean very little. It would be more appropriate for @Screaming_and_Crying to go to the school which helps them get to the location they want to practice. They will get essentially the same education at both. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
IndigenousLawApplicant
  • Applicant

An argument could be made for going where you DON'T want to practice. It can be refreshing to go somewhere where you have not been before, assuming you want to work where you currently live or where you are from. Hey look, this could be the one chance you have in your whole career to live in a new city and to explore a whole new region of the country. Also, I am not sure how much of disadvantage you are at after graduating if your JD is from another city. I mean, is it really worth investing 3 years of your life just to save a few months in integrating into the city where you want to practice? 

29 minutes ago, IndigenousLawApplicant said:

An argument could be made for going where you DON'T want to practice. It can be refreshing to go somewhere where you have not been before, assuming you want to work where you currently live or where you are from. Hey look, this could be the one chance you have in your whole career to live in a new city and to explore a whole new region of the country. Also, I am not sure how much of disadvantage you are at after graduating if your JD is from another city. I mean, is it really worth investing 3 years of your life just to save a few months in integrating into the city where you want to practice? 

I see where you are coming from, and I think that is true for undergrad and graduate school, but when it comes to law school, I really think there are practical benefits to studying in the province where you want to work. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Many lawyers go to school in places other than where they end up working.

• Like 2