Bora Laskin (Lakehead) or Lincoln Alexander (TMU/Ryerson)

Star

Star
  • Applicant

Things I'd like some much-needed insight on. 

Overall employability - primarily interested in fields outside of big law like family law or government but would also like to keep the doors open for it so which is better as a whole? 

I can't seem to determine even a little bit about which is seen as more reputable. There's almost no information comparing the two which is incredibly surprising. Any insight? 

Is Lakehead a diverse school? I'm worried since it's super deep into Ontario, not only the city lacks diversity but also the student body. I couldn't find any information on their class profile which was super weird. I don't want to end up being one of two racialized students.   ;-; 

Which is better from a social justice perspective? I'm assuming Bora Laskin because of the extensive focus on Indigenous Law? 

What are your experiences at either school? I'd love some information since forums tend to just hold super negative opinions. 

Really appreciate your insight and help! 

LMP
  • Articling Student

I think the two school's overlap in ways many other do not. Both fairly new with unique programs designed to be practicum heavy and ostensibly allow you to skip over articling. 

I think this should be a decision driven by where you see yourself practicing. While you certianly aren't locked into Northern Ontario if you go to Bora Laskin the nature of the program and the geographical location of the school means that certian networking oppertunites might be a little stifling. 

But even then, I don't think it'll fundamentally make a huge difference in your chances, especially for things like government or family law. The point being, pick a spot you'd like to live in for three years and consider where you see yourself working in the future (geographically). 

• Like 2