Second Try

Maverick

Maverick
  • Applicant

Hi all,

I am hoping to try for law school again for this next cycle in the fall.
I fell short last year and need some guidance, support, or words of advice.

My CGPA: 2.78 (OLSAS calculation)

MY L2: 3.7

My LSAT score was horrendous so I will not be sharing, however I registered for the HarvardReady course online which will start up in August. 

1. What score should I aim for with my GPA credentials? (I was thinking I need about a 165+)

2. I am trying to get a position in a law firm but can't seem to find anything, are there any other resources out there in regards to gaining experience? What about volunteer work, does the type of work matter?

3. I was interested in applying to the Law Certificate offered at QueensU, is this worth my time and money? Would it even be applicable for my application this year if it starts in September?

4. I was looking into Windsor and Queens as my top schools, how do they compare and should I make any other considerations?

Do I have any chance at all to keep pursuing this dream of mine?

Anything helps, thank you in advance. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

1) 165+ is a good goal 

2) type of work probably doesn't matter. You wont get any substantive experience at a law-firm before law school, and I am of the opinion that it's useless to work in a firm before law school - better off doing something interesting for volunteer/work. 

3) not worth the time or money. Complete waste of both IMO. 

4) Queen's is generally viewed as a better school and it's harder to get into. Kingston is also a superior city, in every way possible, compared to Windsor (which I find to be depressing). Obviously this is subjective, but I've never really heard anyone say anything good about the city of Windsor.

You have a chance if you get a good LSAT.

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 2

Squirtle
  • Law Student

Going to echo everything @QueensDenning said. But add some caveats:

1) Always aim high for your LSAT, especially with your lower CGPA it'll help tremendously. I would also research Queen's access admission category and see if it's applicable for you. 

2) Entry law level positions are extremely scarce and this is especially so without any professional-level/specialized education after your undergrad. I would encourage you to take this time to a) find an experience at the bare minimum but b) an added bonus, find an experience that will contribute your personal/professional development -- IMO, I think it's better if it's outside the law realm to gain exposure and see if there's anything else out there for yourself

3) I have to agree with Denning as your ultimate goal is attending law school anyways.

4) They're both great schools and I would encourage you to apply to both and broadly if your bandwidth permits. If we're talking about Queens vs. Windsor, you should do your research on what each schools strengths or namely focus areas are and see which one aligns more with your needs. The education quality will stay pretty consistent between the two, cost, both in tuition and living is relative. Not sure if location plays a factor for you but I prefer Kingston > Windsor, though Windsor has some hidden gems. But focus on getting in first!

Best of luck!

Edited by Squirtle

Goblin King
  • Law Student

Queen's uses your best two years of undergrad. Is your L2 also your B2? Their median B2 GPA for the class of 2023 was 3.73 and their median LSAT was 160. I'd guess the class of 2024's admission stats were higher because this cycle was particularly brutal. It's worth noting that this trend may continue for a little while. That said, I think you'd be good with a low to mid 160s LSAT assuming consistency between your L2 and B2. 

Maverick
  • Applicant
47 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

1) 165+ is a good goal 

2) type of work probably doesn't matter. You wont get any substantive experience at a law-firm before law school, and I am of the opinion that it's useless to work in a firm before law school - better off doing something interesting for volunteer/work. 

3) not worth the time or money. Complete waste of both IMO. 

4) Queen's is generally viewed as a better school and it's harder to get into. Kingston is also a superior city, in every way possible, compared to Windsor (which I find to be depressing). Obviously this is subjective, but I've never really heard anyone say anything good about the city of Windsor.

You have a chance if you get a good LSAT.

This is really great guidance, emphasis on the part where I would've potentially wasted $4500 on the law certificate... 

All in all I tend to overthink and overcomplicate, so it seems like simple is best in my scenario. 
Raise my LSAT to a competitive score and contribute to my community in various ways.

22 minutes ago, Goblin King said:

Queen's uses your best two years of undergrad. Is your L2 also your B2? Their median B2 GPA for the class of 2023 was 3.73 and their median LSAT was 160. I'd guess the class of 2024's admission stats were higher because this cycle was particularly brutal. It's worth noting that this trend may continue for a little while. That said, I think you'd be good with a low to mid 160s LSAT assuming consistency between your L2 and B2. 

Ok maybe you can provide some clarity, I am new to forums and have yet to be introduced to the short forms of how semesters are labelled.

I thought L2 meant my last two years lol...don't make fun of me. 

What is B2/B3 etc... 😳

Goblin King
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Ok maybe you can provide some clarity, I am new to forums and have yet to be introduced to the short forms of how semesters are labelled.

I thought L2 meant my last two years lol...don't make fun of me. 

What is B2/B3 etc... 😳

B2 means "best two." L2 does mean "last two." Queen's uses your best two years (consecutive fall and winter semesters -- they don't include summer courses) at a full course load (which they define as at least 4 courses per semester). 

bluebean
  • Law Student

I agree with all of the above with a couple of amendments…

Aim for 165+. Low 160s might end up putting you below the threshold for Queen’s and likely other schools that consider cGPA. Make your LSAT stand out. I got into Queen’s this cycle with a cGPA 2.75, B2 3.8, LSAT 164. 165 would be a safe goal. 

B2 at Queen’s requires a full course load of 8 courses/year. It doesn’t have to be 4/semester, as long as it adds up to 8+. (Fall - 2 courses, Winter - 6 courses would be perfectly fine). 

Extra-curriculars, community programs, part-time jobs are all good options (not just volunteering). It doesn’t have to be groundbreaking work, but make sure you can talk about what you learn from them/how they’re meaningful. 

Good luck!  

halamadrid
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, LawstudentinCanada said:

When reapplying how long does it take for OLSAS to restart the application cycle? 

I believe they reset at the end of August

• Like 2

thesamasaurus

My story may be helpful. I'm in at Ryerson this year, was waitlisted as Osgoode and declined from U of T, and no response from Ottawa or Queens. 

I previously applied to law school in 2018, I was accepted to Queens, and UBC, waitlisted to U of T, declined / no response from a few other school. 

My stats are 3.05 CGPA, 3.8 B20, 169 LSAT.  My ECs were minimal but something.

Essentially I applied for two cycles, and in both I was accepted to at least one school, and waitlisted to a number of others (i.e seems like I was a borderline candidate).  Our grades are similar so figured I'd share.  More broadly as someone with a weakness in your app I'd suggest focusing on trying to make as much of the rest of your application shine as possible.

EDIT: Also agree with others here don't waste your time on the Queens law certificate. 

I'd suggest 7sage for the LSAT its excellent for LG and formal logic in LR.

Edited by thesamasaurus