Articling offer advisement

soulchoice

soulchoice
  • Law Student

Hey everyone, I did put this question in the discord, but I felt compelled to also post in here.  Was curious to see if anyone has insight.

I just started cold calling/emailing last week for articling positions.  I have been fortunate to get favourable responses and had four interviews last week.  An offer was just received and I have been given 24 hours to accept.  The firm meets most of what I am seeking as a recruit, with the only caveat being the articling pay, which is sub 40k.  The other 2-3 firms gave notion that potential offers would likely be coming as well (Friday interviews), one is a much larger firm (offices all over the country), but there would be relocation for one year to a smaller centre.  I am quite sure the other firms salaries will be higher, in the +50s or more.  

Any advice to my situation?  Especially being the offer I have now has the short time frame to accept.  Note, these interviews/offers are for a mid fall of this year start time. 

Edited by soulchoice

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

As my father would say, "consider your alternatives and then choose one."

If you don't take the "sub 40k" offer now, it expires. It appears that you do not want to relocate to a "smaller centre." On the other hand, it appears that you have tried and failed to find a higher paying articling position in a larger city.

My suggestion is to wait and see. My impression of the job market is that there ought to be at least some offers available in a larger city that pay ~50k.

But you also need to know yourself. Are you struggling with the job search due to poor grades or some other reason that make you a poor candidate? Also, is there something about the "sub 40k" offer that compensates for the low pay - for example shorter hours, an increased focus on training vs working, or the promise of a substantial pay increase after articling?

Consider also the lower cost of living in a smaller city/town (minor factor).

• Like 1

Conge
  • Lawyer

Contact the other firms that said there may be an offer and tell them you have an offer and 24 hours to accept. See if they want to extend offers too. If not, then your decision has been made for you. 

soulchoice
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, SNAILS said:

As my father would say, "consider your alternatives and then choose one."

If you don't take the "sub 40k" offer now, it expires. It appears that you do not want to relocate to a "smaller centre." On the other hand, it appears that you have tried and failed to find a higher paying articling position in a larger city.

My suggestion is to wait and see. My impression of the job market is that there ought to be at least some offers available in a larger city that pay ~50k.

But you also need to know yourself. Are you struggling with the job search due to poor grades or some other reason that make you a poor candidate? Also, is there something about the "sub 40k" offer that compensates for the low pay - for example shorter hours, an increased focus on training vs working, or the promise of a substantial pay increase after articling?

Consider also the lower cost of living in a smaller city/town (minor factor).

Thanks for the insight.  Oddly enough, I only just started to look for articling last week.  I have been told from some of the firms in the larger city that my CV is impressive (their words) and my grades were high, so perhaps that is why I am getting favourable responses.  I started emailing firms on Tuesday and had 4 interviews prior to the weekend.  I have no issues of living in a smaller centre, but a couple of the other ones who stated they were happy with the interviews have stated they were likely going to make an offer in the next week or two.  The relocation was for the larger firm.  The current offer is in my present city.

I just do not want to make a mistake as articling beyond the cycles is limited and for a firm to make a role for an article that was not forecasted is not easy.  I have been lucky.

Edited by soulchoice

soulchoice
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Conge said:

Contact the other firms that said there may be an offer and tell them you have an offer and 24 hours to accept. See if they want to extend offers too. If not, then your decision has been made for you. 

Good advice, thanks!

18 hours ago, Conge said:

I second this advice. I know several people, me included, who leveraged the offer of a firm to get an offer from a better firm.