URGENT: Clyde & Co Articling Salary

Law4lifer

• 2 weeks later...
Conge
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, Law123girl said:

55K I heard

How could that be competitive in TO? That's less than what regional firms in Atlantic Canada are paying for articles.  

LMP
  • Articling Student

It surprised me too but I've heard the same number. Though I've also heard rumblings that they are/did raise it. 

And it isn't competitive but this isn't an uncommon tactic to just hide the salary until someone accepts. I've known a surprising amount of people who accept jobs with the salary unknown. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

They must have forgotten to convert their GBP to CAD when they came over from London. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

I took a look at their website.  They have 27 lawyers in Toronto.  That's it.  A small-ish boutique.  Why do you assume they have to pay a salary competitive with Biglaw?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I took a look at their website.  They have 27 lawyers in Toronto.  That's it.  A small-ish boutique.  Why do you assume they have to pay a salary competitive with Biglaw?

Clyde & Co is one of the largest, most successful firms on the planet with revenues comparable to major New York and London firms and revenues per partner comparable to the most successful Canadian firms.

It's not particularly unreasonable to expect them to pay a salary commensurate with their global status, even if their Canadian office is relatively small. 

• Like 3

scooter
  • Law Student

Glassdoor has their Toronto articling salary at $80-90K (only 2 articling salaries reported). That sort of lines up with what I've heard for first-year associates ($115K), in terms of how far off it is from the general Toronto big-law scale. Could be wrong though - not firsthand info.

• Like 1

I’m only familiar with their associate pay and last I heard it was in line with most ID boutiques, maybe $15-20k more. Which lines up with what Scooter mentioned for 1st years. 

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
16 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Clyde & Co is one of the largest, most successful firms on the planet with revenues comparable to major New York and London firms and revenues per partner comparable to the most successful Canadian firms.

It's not particularly unreasonable to expect them to pay a salary commensurate with their global status, even if their Canadian office is relatively small. 

I mostly agree, but I don't think their Toronto office is bringing in much revenue. At the end of the day their Toronto office can only charge Toronto rates, and I don't suspect Clyde and Co Toronto has a particularly large book of business relative to other similarly large shops.

• 2 weeks later...
Jobidon
  • Law Student

Before NALP removed the compensation tab on their website (which the rumor is that NALP removed this tab because of changes to the competition act), Clyde & Co listed the articling salary at 90k and first year associate salary at 115k on NALP. They didn't say what the rate was for summer students and I can't remember what the benefits tab said but I specifically remember those were the salary numbers on NALP.

• Like 1