your articling positions (2023-2024) primarily in-person or Hybrid?

Law123456789

Law123456789
  • Articling Student

Was just wondering whether your firms are doing only in-person or allowing a few days of at-home work per week? if so, did you bring it up or they informed you on the first day?

Turtles
  • Law Student

Many Toronto big law firms expect 2-3 days in-person as the general rule. Enforcement and compliance varies.

• Like 1

Law123456789
  • Articling Student

@fernweh Did they tell you or did you ask? everyone in my firm is on a hybrid model but they haven't mentioned anything to the articling students so we have been coming in every day so far

fernweh
  • Law Student

@Law123girl I've summered there before, so I already knew! Also misread the title of the thread - I won't be articling there until 2024-25, but the same will apply then. 

Hayesy-B
  • Lawyer
On 8/16/2023 at 10:35 AM, fernweh said:

Wfh available if sick

What kind of policy is this?  Maybe there's more to it than that, but "permitting" your employees to work from home when they're sick is a little ridiculous.  If you want to be fully in person and someone is too sick to come into the office, shouldn't they be too sick for the firm to expect any kind of meaningful work contribution from them? 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Hayesy-B said:

What kind of policy is this?  Maybe there's more to it than that, but "permitting" your employees to work from home when they're sick is a little ridiculous.  If you want to be fully in person and someone is too sick to come into the office, shouldn't they be too sick for the firm to expect any kind of meaningful work contribution from them? 

Is this your first time hearing anything about working conditions in the profession? 

More seriously, there are obviously times people are sick enough that it would be rude to go into the office and expose their coworkers to their germs, but fine to put in a couple of hours of work. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 5

Hayesy-B
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Is this your first time hearing anything about working conditions in the profession? 

More seriously, there are obviously times people are sick enough that it would be rude to go into the office and expose their coworkers to their germs, but fine to put in a couple of hours of work. 

I wrote out half of a real response, but then I remembered there’s no point in engaging with you.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

JohnsonWest
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, Hayesy-B said:

I wrote out half of a real response, but then I remembered there’s no point in engaging with you.  

Edited by JohnsonWest
regret

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

@JohnsonWest

Damn dude, you were quick on the draw with that edit. Your post was a minute old when I saw it but whatever spicy stuff you wrote was already gone. How disappointing.

• LOL 1
  • Nom! 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Who knew people got so hot and bothered about someone with the sniffles doing some work from home! 

In any event, apologies @Hayesy-B for the offense I have seemingly caused. My comment was meant as a joke about the profession and the often unreasonable expectations of senior lawyers, not as any kind of slight directed at you. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

we have a 3 days in policy at my firm but i always tell the students to come in as often as they can. the face time really makes a difference. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...