what to do when you're waiting to hear back from one firm but another firm is following up with you

secunda

secunda
  • Law Student

Hi, I wanted some advice about how to handle this professionally and kindly - I have an offer from one office for an articling position (A), and am waiting to hear back from my first choice (B) on whether I received the position. B informed me that I was their second choice and they're waiting to hear back from their first choice who has yet to inform them on their decision. It's been several hours since the offers had gone out at 5, and I had followed up with my first choice, and they confirmed they have yet to hear back from their first choice but they were very kind in understanding how stressful this is. They've let me know they'll update me as soon as they hear back from their first choice, but I've received follow-up calls from office A to ask about my decision. I'm not sure how to professionally inform them of this situation. I don't want to cause office A any stress nor give a poor impression, but I'd like to make sure I have the ability to know if I got an offer from office B before I accept at A. I know I have 24 hours to accept offers (as B told me), but I don't want to put someone who is waiting for an offer at A to be in the situation I'm in with B, because this is really stressful. I also want to be communicative to A if that's the right thing to do here.

Does anyone have any advice?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Your post is essentially saying that you want it all, which you should know is impossible. 

The way to ensure you can hear from your first choice firm before giving your second choice firm an answer is to tell your second choice firm that you are waiting to hear back about another offer. 

The way to maintain a good impression with your second choice firm and ensure another student is not experiencing the stress you are experiencing is to tell your second choice firm yes or no. 

Those are mutually exclusive options. You have to pick one. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

secunda
  • Law Student

Okay, thank you for your answer and advice, I wasn’t sure if it was okay to tell a firm that you’re waiting to hear back about another offer, thank you again for clarifying that for me!