CHANCE ME

5abi

5abi
  • Applicant

Hey all, I'm an older student who would be 40 by the time of start 2024. I've been upgrading to Athabasca and have acheived a 4.0 in my last 8 classes bringing my L20 upto 3.6x. My Cgpa is terribad, something like 2.2x.

How would I have to perform on the LSAT to get in first round?

I have 10 years of work experience as an engineer for a major oil producer and then another 5 years as an Economist. I have 2 kids, and I am part of a group focused on turning around restaurants.

Thanks all

• Like 2

Teejah
  • Law School Admit

It's possible. I'm a fellow old-timer with a lot of work experience. I got in this cycle with a high L20 (3.99), a terribad cGPA (2.68) and a decent LSAT (168).

That said I got in late off the waitlist. But I got into every other school in Western Canada without being waitlisted.

Study hard for the LSAT. That will be the difference maker. A strong PS could also make a world of difference. Lastly, don't give up if you don't make it in on your first cycle applying. You've waited this long one more year is nothing, and I've heard showing persistence pays off.

• Like 1

5abi
  • Applicant

Thanks Teejah,

Thanks for the reply. I calc'd my L20 and its 3.62. I was planning on upgrading for another year but they now look at graduate level courses which saves me a whole year, as long as I get in.

Anyways, if I take one more class I can bump that L20 upto 3.65, do you think its worth it?

Also, I'm writing the Nov. 11 LSAT, any tips I start studying on Tuesday.

Teejah
  • Law School Admit
On 8/18/2023 at 9:18 AM, 5abi said:

Thanks Teejah,

Thanks for the reply. I calc'd my L20 and its 3.62. I was planning on upgrading for another year but they now look at graduate level courses which saves me a whole year, as long as I get in.

Anyways, if I take one more class I can bump that L20 upto 3.65, do you think its worth it?

I'm not on an admissions committee, but my personal opinion is you should absolutely take an extra course to bump your GPA if it is reasonable for you to do so.

It isn't just about the final number. There is little difference between 3.62 and 3.65. But in a case like yours they are probably considering more than cGPA. If you had a very low GPA before, but have had remarkable improvement in your latest courses, they are going to consider your upward trajectory and recovery as evidence you can succeed in law school despite your cGPA. Every extra course helps provide that evidence. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with me. My transcript was literally Fs, Ws and Ds. I was kicked out of my program. But then I gave it another shot and got straight As.

For the LSAT my main advice is to take it seriously and have patience. Take a course. I used 7Sage but have also heard LSAT Demon is very good. We all think that we're gonna get a high score with little effort until the test actually proves us otherwise. Do a diagnostic test under timed conditions. If you are one of those very rare people who can score a 170+, great; but you probably aren't and will probably need to prepare for a long grind. Improving your LSAT score turns out to be something that happens very slowly. Start with mastering logic games, this is the easiest section of the LSAT to "learn".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2023 at 9:18 AM, 5abi said:

Thanks Teejah,

It's hard to advise you if it's worth it for you to apply if you haven't taken the LSAT yet. I would come back once you have that and then you'd be able to get a better answer.

However, I'm sure you're aware that whether you have a 3.62 or a 3.65, that is generally a below average GPA for accepted applicants. Therefore, you would likely need an above average LSAT score to be accepted. Without an above average LSAT score, you're likely looking at either a rejection or a late acceptance off of the waitlist with that GPA.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5abi
  • Applicant
On 12/28/2023 at 10:42 AM, Ocean said:

Hey any tips on how to do as well as you did on the LSAT? 

How many months/hours did you study for? 

I studied 7 weeks things I did to prepare.

1) learn the games quickly, 2 days at most to get a gist

2) do a diagnostic

3) 7 sage cirriculum and drilling

4) pts for speed

5) brush on week areas

6) pts

• Like 1

5abi
  • Applicant
On 12/28/2023 at 10:42 AM, Ocean said:

Hey any tips on how to do as well as you did on the LSAT? 

How many months/hours did you study for? 

one major mistake I made during prepping which probably hurt me was speeding to fast through the 7 sage LR material. I made it a race and it cost me as I had to redo a bunch of sections and on a tight 7-8 week schedule I lost points to this.

So take your time as you go through material.

• Like 2