Part-time JD in Canada

mxs123

mxs123
  • Applicant

Has anyone done a part-time JD in Canada? I know a lot of the schools offer it but only under special circumstances -

And how many courses do full-time 1Ls take per semester? 

Thanks!

Edited by mxs123

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student

Under special circumstances. And it can be 8 courses per semester.

If your reasons for wanting to be part time are not related to something that would impact your performance (eg. A disability that would be made worse with full time school), if there’s a way for you to manage the 8 months full time I would try. 

Push all of your vacation to the end of the year, convince an employer of an unpaid leave, apply for student loans,etc. 

Your schedule becomes far more flexible in second and third year. There are options in class times allowing more flexibility in your schedule and making being part-time realistic.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
On 8/24/2023 at 6:38 PM, mxs123 said:

Has anyone done a part-time JD in Canada? I know a lot of the schools offer it but only under special circumstances -

And how many courses do full-time 1Ls take per semester? 

Thanks!

I’ve run into a handful of people doing part time at UBC. I dropped a course in 1L which I am picking up in 2L. I also took some summer classes which will allow me to take fewer courses in 2L. It’s worth asking about. They don’t really advertise it, but you can tweak your own schedule.