Oci chances

Lovelaw

Lovelaw
  • Law Student

How many interviews are in reach for the Vancouver recruit for a person with a B average (every class was a straight B) from TRU if you applied to 32 firms. Networked with 27 for a total of 50 “coffee chats”. Extensive school involvement and above average work experience. 

Constantine
  • Law School Admit

That's a lot of coffee chats. Surely you asked some of the lawyers about their thoughts on the OCI process. What did they say? 

Lovelaw
  • Law Student
21 hours ago, Constantine said:

That's a lot of coffee chats. Surely you asked some of the lawyers about their thoughts on the OCI process. What did they say? 

They just said keep doing what you’re doing in terms of networking and balancing multiple commitments. In terms of OCIs, nothing but the generic stuff. For example, do a lot of mock interviews, cross one bridge at a time as it can be a lot, and talk to upper years every step of the way as the process is very nuanced. 

Constantine
  • Law School Admit

Ah okay. I'm basically in the same boat as you with my average, although my grades vary a lot. Did a decent amount of school volunteering and had a varied resume coming into first year. Personally, I think for us B's it's hard to say but we will for sure get less than someone with good softs and an A average. But it's hard to say how successful we will be given that every applicant is unique, and cover letters and resumes may matter more or less depending on the firm. 

I won't be holding my breath though. No use in it and it just sets me up for disappointment. 

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
14 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Ah okay. I'm basically in the same boat as you with my average, although my grades vary a lot. Did a decent amount of school volunteering and had a varied resume coming into first year. Personally, I think for us B's it's hard to say but we will for sure get less than someone with good softs and an A average. But it's hard to say how successful we will be given that every applicant is unique, and cover letters and resumes may matter more or less depending on the firm. 

Unfortunately for some firms, it seems as if school “rank” will also play into it. 

During one firm visit, their recruiter told us that we should be applying regardless of whatever our grades are because they recognize that we are at UBC and we would have had to have performed decently to get in. 

I will ride the assumption because I know I don’t have the stats that my classmates did getting in. 

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

I'd reach out to your school's Careers Office. They obviously can't predict the future with 100% certainty, but they might be able to give you a rough idea of how many OCIs you can expect to receive based on how students with similar marks have fared in years past.

• Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

OP, you're looking for certainty where there is none. If your goal is to land a job through the OCI process and you're not particularly selective about where to work, my advice is to apply broadly and temper your expectations. Your stats are on the low side so I'd anticipate a few OCIs at best. 

• Like 1