Can i reject articling offer after accepting?

Law nerd 221

Law nerd 221
  • Lawyer

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of the lawyers or articling students on the forum could help with my situation

So i am currently summering in a boutique litigation firm in Toronto. They offered me an articling position for 2022-2023 in May which i accepted. But I kind of regret accepting it right now.

We work crazy hours (9 am- 8 pm) sometimes even the weekends for very little pay. They offered me around 3500 per months for articling which barely covers my expenses. 

I feel like the principal lawyer has very unrealistic expectations from the students and has no professional boundaries. For example we sometimes have to do errands for him or take care of his personal matters. 

I honestly don’t mind the summer position but i don’t know if I’ll regret articling here. Or maybe i’m overreacting.

My question is can I reject the offer now? And how hard would it be for me to find another articling position? (I have good grades and lots of work experience)

any insights are appropriated!

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Is it typical that articling offers go out that early? If you're summering, and you start in May, how could you have enough time to know whether you'd want to accept an articling offer that early? Seems like the employer was trying to trap you. Disclaimer: I'm an incoming 2L, so don't think I can answer you're question, but IMO if you realize you don't want to work somewhere it's your right to re-neg on the acceptance, especially considering how early it was offered. 

Is that pay typical for non-bay street firms? I'm making almost that much at my 1L summer internship (not with a law firm but in the legal industry) while living at home with my parents. And I haven't been able to save that much. I was really expecting higher pay for next summer & articling.

Law nerd 221
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Is it typical that articling offers go out that early? If you're summering, and you start in May, how could you have enough time to know whether you'd want to accept an articling offer that early? Seems like the employer was trying to trap you. Disclaimer: I'm an incoming 2L, so don't think I can answer you're question, but IMO if you realize you don't want to work somewhere it's your right to re-neg on the acceptance, especially considering how early it was offered. 

Is that pay typical for non-bay street firms? I'm making almost that much at my 1L summer internship (not with a law firm but in the legal industry) while living at home with my parents. And I haven't been able to save that much. I was really expecting higher pay for next summer & articling.

Thanks for your response.

It was by the end of May so after approximately a month, I was offered the position.

If you are in Ontario

What should I do if I have any concerns with my articling placement?

You may send a message through your online account or call an Articling Administrator at 416-947-3315 or 1-800-668-7380 ext.3315 for further assistance. Our office will make best efforts to assist you and direct you to all available resources to address your concerns.  

Edited by luckycharm

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

You can rescind your acceptance. What you can’t do is apply or interview elsewhere having accepted an offer. So you’ll have to decline the offer before you start your articling search.  

• Like 1

99problems
  • Lawyer
26 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

You can rescind your acceptance. What you can’t do is apply or interview elsewhere having accepted an offer. So you’ll have to decline the offer before you start your articling search.  

How much time do we have to respond to an offer? Toronto's offer day is August 11, but Vancouver offer day is August 20. I'm wondering if I can hold off an offer til I hear back for Vancouver firms?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, not not a lawyer said:

How much time do we have to respond to an offer? Toronto's offer day is August 11, but Vancouver offer day is August 20. I'm wondering if I can hold off an offer til I hear back for Vancouver firms?

Firms are required to leave offers open for 24 hours, but students are also required to deal with offers as expeditiously as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

99problems
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Firms are required to leave offers open for 24 hours, but students are also required to deal with offers as expeditiously as possible. 

So basically, if I got an offer in Toronto, I would have to accept it. Otherwise, it is too big of a risk

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, not not a lawyer said:

So basically, if I got an offer in Toronto, I would have to accept it. Otherwise, it is too big of a risk

You don't have to accept it but yes, it depends on how risk-adverse you are. This timeline benefits people who prefer to work in Vancouver over Toronto. 

To add, firms really want people to accept an offer ASAP. They don't want to wait around for a response only to have their back-up candidates accept elsewhere and lose out on their top choices. Most offers are accepted within the first hour or so. I don't recommend waiting anywhere near the 24hr mark to accept an offer.

• Thanks 1