The Average GPA for 2L recruit?

ON-Biber

Hi guys, 

What is the typical average GPA at uOttawa to get a job in 2L OCI?

The average for bay st jobs: 

The average for government:

The average for boutiques: 

Thanks 

• 1 month later...
Toast Viking
  • Law Student

I don't think you're going to find the standard numerical answer you're looking for. Firms hire people for a variety of reasons other than grades - including life experience, maturity, personal interests, work history... etc. The criteria is not black and white.

If you hope to be competitive in the 2L recruit, aim for the highest grades you can possibly get, but be mindful of your ability to be a well-rounded candidate by doing things like joining clinics, moot teams, or clubs which you can leverage in conversations about transferable skills. In my experience, this is what firms care about most. 

Now, this isn't to say that grades aren't important. They very much are, especially when firms are originally screening for OCIs. I'm not a recruiter, so I can't speak to the threshold they look for - if any. Keeping your grades as high as you can is obviously a best practice. My advice would be to focus on engaging in activities which you can use to your advantage in interviews. Best of luck!

1 minute ago, hopeless semantic said:

I don't think you're going to find the standard numerical answer you're looking for. Firms hire people for a variety of reasons other than grades - including life experience, maturity, personal interests, work history... etc. The criteria is not black and white.

If you hope to be competitive in the 2L recruit, aim for the highest grades you can possibly get, but be mindful of your ability to be a well-rounded candidate by doing things like joining clinics, moot teams, or clubs which you can leverage in conversations about transferable skills. In my experience, this is what firms care about most. 

Now, this isn't to say that grades aren't important. They very much are, especially when firms are originally screening for OCIs. I'm not a recruiter, so I can't speak to the threshold they look for - if any. Keeping your grades as high as you can is obviously a best practice. My advice would be to focus on engaging in activities which you can use to your advantage in interviews. Best of luck!

Thank you so much!

• Like 1