Individual consideration or index Score category

CheeseWhiz22

CheeseWhiz22
  • Applicant

Hey all,

I bother you all here today to clear up a confusion for myself and perhaps anybody else who is googling the same thing as me.

Basically, which category is the correct one to apply for? 

As I understand it if you are 26+ then choose individual consideration, but even if you choose IC, your application still gets processed through the index score category to see if you meet the cut off score.

As 80% of admissions happens via the index score and there are very few individual consideration places, can I not apply under the index score instead? Or is this off limits to me because of my 26+ age.

I apologize for plaguing you with this confusion, but the admissions office is as about as useful and informative as a chocolate watch that arrives 2 months late.

WilliamBlack
  • Undergrad

Hi CheeseWhiz22,

Whenever you apply through one of the equity streams, the schools will always process your application under general category first (unless they have explicitly stated otherwise). Should you fail to qualify under general category, only then, the application is reviewed under Individual Consideration or other equity streams (mature category, Indigenous category, Black student category, holistic review etc).

They do this precisely, as you mentioned, due to the fact that IC spots are limited in comparison to general category. Logically then, if an applicants' STATS are strong enough to be admitted through general admission, they don't need IC as they don't 'qualify'. They are competitive enough to make it without any equity considerations. Leaving IC for less competitive applicants who need it most. The purpose of equity stream admissions categories are to level the playing field and provide everyone an equal opportunity for admission. Specially, individuals who have the most potential to be successful at law school, however due to life circumstances their application (either LSAT or GPA) are not as competitive as regular applicants. 

Also, keep in mind, each school has their own unique policy regarding the number students admitted each year under different equity streams. Not all schools have a designated number of spots for IC applicants, and some refuse to share demographic data on IC category applicants altogether. The methods used to determine the number if IC applicants varies from school to school. Some work on a percentage basis, while others operate on a merit-based-scale-system to determine number of IC spots. The more competitive overall applications in a given year, the more challenging it is for both IC and general category applicants to secure a spot and get admitted.

In short, I would recommend applying under IC. This will not have any adverse affects on your application prospects in any way. If you qualify for automatic admission based on the index system then congratulations! If not then you will be evaluated under IC category. This is by far the best approach to ensure your are maximizing your chances. 

One thing to consider, however, each school has their own unique application requirements for each category. For instance, some require a detail essay describing why you should be considered under IC stream, others require specific number of references or referees or letters of recommendations (both academic and professional).

This is the only consideration you need to be cognizant of as not submitting appropriate paper work will result in incomplete application and possible rejection. 

Hope you found this information useful, and wish you all the best. 

CheeseWhiz22
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, WilliamBlack said:

Hi CheeseWhiz22,

Whenever you apply through one of the equity streams, the schools will always process your application under general category first (unless they have explicitly stated otherwise). Should you fail to qualify under general category, only then, the application is reviewed under Individual Consideration or other equity streams (mature category, Indigenous category, Black student category, holistic review etc).

They do this precisely, as you mentioned, due to the fact that IC spots are limited in comparison to general category. Logically then, if an applicants' STATS are strong enough to be admitted through general admission, they don't need IC as they don't 'qualify'. They are competitive enough to make it without any equity considerations. Leaving IC for less competitive applicants who need it most. The purpose of equity stream admissions categories are to level the playing field and provide everyone an equal opportunity for admission. Specially, individuals who have the most potential to be successful at law school, however due to life circumstances their application (either LSAT or GPA) are not as competitive as regular applicants. 

Also, keep in mind, each school has their own unique policy regarding the number students admitted each year under different equity streams. Not all schools have a designated number of spots for IC applicants, and some refuse to share demographic data on IC category applicants altogether. The methods used to determine the number if IC applicants varies from school to school. Some work on a percentage basis, while others operate on a merit-based-scale-system to determine number of IC spots. The more competitive overall applications in a given year, the more challenging it is for both IC and general category applicants to secure a spot and get admitted.

In short, I would recommend applying under IC. This will not have any adverse affects on your application prospects in any way. If you qualify for automatic admission based on the index system then congratulations! If not then you will be evaluated under IC category. This is by far the best approach to ensure your are maximizing your chances. 

One thing to consider, however, each school has their own unique application requirements for each category. For instance, some require a detail essay describing why you should be considered under IC stream, others require specific number of references or referees or letters of recommendations (both academic and professional).

This is the only consideration you need to be cognizant of as not submitting appropriate paper work will result in incomplete application and possible rejection. 

Hope you found this information useful, and wish you all the best. 

Hey WB,

I did find this information extremely useful.

my only question is, what if my stats (4.0 AGpa and a 150s LSAT) are not sufficient stats for the index score median of a 3.97gpa and a 161 LSAT. Do i still get placed on a general admissions waitlist or do I receive the 150s offers like others? OR do I have to pray for IC because i didn't meet the index threshold?