Do I include travelling in my autobiographical sketch?

Coffeefan

Hello everyone, 

I hope you’re all doing well. I am in the process of filling out the autobiographical sketch on my application and I read on OUAC’s website that you can include travel in the “extracurricular activities” category. 

Does anybody have any advice/experience with including their travels on their sketch? I am debating on whether or not I should include my most recent international travels in my sketch. I appreciate any insight or advice that anyone could provide. 

Diplock
  • Lawyer

Personal view. When you talk about your international adventures as though they are somehow an enriching aspect of your personality that contributes to making you a better and more interesting applicant (in an application for whatever), you are going to be addressing yourself to one of two different audiences who will review your application. Either (a) the person reviewing it has also traveled quite a bit, in which case the most likely response will be "you seriously think THIS is what makes you interesting? That you managed to get on a plane?" Or else (b) the person reviewing it has not traveled extensively, likely because they lack your resources and privileges, in which case the most likely response will be "this doesn't tell me anything about you other than the fact that you have more money than I do."

Mileage and opinions may vary. But I think it's at best shallow and at worst pretty douchy to imagine traveling is somehow something notable about you. If you really can't find anything better to note, think harder. Personally, I'd be more impressed with, or at least more intrigued by, "competitive video gaming" or even (God help me) "sponsored Instagraming" than something that is simultaneously both banal and privileged.

Edited by Diplock
  • Like 6

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer
42 minutes ago, Diplock said:

"competitive video gaming"

Did I ever tell you my -checks notes- high score in Dance Dance Revolution? (probably carbon dating myself here).

...And how I kept my virginity sacred for -checks notes- 40 years by being a local legend at Warhammer 40k tournaments?

3 hours ago, Coffeefan said:

their travels on their sketch?

On a more serious note, I have a different perspective.

You can write "travel" epiphanies.

Travel and seeing the world can foster personal growth, just like hardship, immigration, deprivation, victimhood, military experience and so forth can shape the personality and worldviews of others.

Even if you traveled to exotic "100% hedonistic" locations, you can talk about how the "pause" made you reflect on the past and made you value something; or you found something "ugly" in an otherwise beautiful paradise (just like some writers can write compelling stories of those living in slums, their lives are much more complicated than we imagine, yet they find happiness or fulfillment that are elusive to the wealthy).

When the reader is pleasantly surprised by something he/she/they didn't expect, it can make the reader focus and find out where you are leading them to. Take them on a journey.

The most compelling family law facta I read weren't those that cited the law in a clear and logical fashion, but those that shown deeply impactful human element and meaning.

Edited by Aureliuse
  • Like 1