PLTC (BC Bar Course) Compared to Law School

FlyingFish

FlyingFish
  • Articling Student

Hi All,

I am starting PLTC on Monday and I would really appreciate some insight about it from anyone who has gone through the program in the last three years. I have heard through the grapevine that over the last few years the LSBC has made the course more rigorous leading to an increase in the number of people who fail some portion. Further, I know a few people personally who have had to repeat one assessment or more. I don't want to fail if possible. 

1. I got goodish grades in law school. If I use the same study techniques as I used in law school (do most of the readings, attend most of the classes, build some level of CAN, prepare for in class exercises) will that be enough? Or are there more things I should do to pass?

2. I went to law school out of province. Should I look out for anything apart from the obvious (different legislation, different rules of court, different code of conduct and LSBC rules, etc) when going through the course?

3. Any other useful tips?

Edited by FlyingFish

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

1) Attendance is mandatory, and is tracked. So you should attend all sessions. I think you're allowed two unexplained absences, but I suggest attending everything. I would also suggest doing all the readings, and not just most, unless you're already extremely comfortable with some of the subjects. You need to be as comfortable as you can with what's in the practice materials, because almost everything is examinable - including topics that your instructor won't address at all, ever.

2) I would say that coming from out of province is only a small disadvantage. It means that more will be new, but you'll be fine as I'm sure you'll be double-checking your BC materials anyway. But I guess you should be alert to any little quirks of Law that are actually different in your jurisdiction.

For me, PLTC was about the same amount of work as law school, but it made me a lot more nervous. The fact that failing things was a realistic possibility made things a lot scarier. But your mileage may vary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PlatoandSocrates
  • Articling Student

I just complete the last PLTC session and passed it.

1. I mostly studied about the same amount as I did in law school. I think I probably read a bit more in PLTC, but this was more out of anxiety about failing than the actual workload. I think your existing study strategy is likely to be fine. It got you this far, right?

2. I second the above. I think it was a small advantage to have gone to a BC school, but I don't think the people I know that went to school out of province really took that long to catch up. 

3. I'd say do what works for you. I didn't do every reading as they came along, but did most of them towards the end, as I felt that would work better for me. I also found that having an index and summary worked wonders for the exams. I actually found that there was adequate time to look up most questions, despite how much they emphasize that it won't be possible. I say to thine own self be true, if you know what sort of studying strategies work for you, I wouldn't necessarily take what your classmates or the PLTC suggest as a given. Work hard, show up to class, and I'd say you got this!